Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is the SEPST Mac Compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM
MurphyPeoples
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamrfixit
This.

Bootcamp is not an emulator, it is simply an interface and the drivers package to install Windows onto your mac. Bootcamp allows you to add a windows partition without wiping your drive, works perfectly, I have done it many times. Even though; a backup of important stuff is always a good idea.

After this you can boot from the windows install disk and install windows onto your new partition. After install you boot into the windows partition and install the drivers package just as you would on any pc install. You must do this so windows can recognize the hardware then you are off and running.

When you boot into windows your computer runs at full speed just as any PC of the same spec would. All you need is a free download of bootcamp and a full windows installer. I use the OEM full install, win 7 is around $90 at Amazon.com. If you are computer literate at all this is as easy as it sounds.
Thanks for the informative answer. I rummaged over this idea for a while and decided to go with the DynoJet Power Vision. Had to borrow a PC laptop from a family member to update the firmware on even it as it's not Mac compatible either.

I'm not a Mac snob by any means. It's just one day you buy a Macbook, then an iMac, and ipod, an iphone, and eventually you wake up and find out it's overtaken your family. Those here that use Mac's know what I mean. They are just much easier to live with for many reasons.

No big deal. Just learning the Harley EFI ropes is all.
Murphy

Old 11-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm just guessing, but I don't think you'll find -any- "tuner software" for Harleys in a "Mac version". The installed base just isn't large enough to justify a Mac-specific edition of the software.

Having said that, I'm a long-time Mac user (since 1987!), and in 2011 picked up a Road Glide that had a Power Commander IIIusb already installed.

I don't have (and don't want) BootCamp installed, so I looked for alternatives.

I tried "CrossOver" first (allows you to run Windows apps without installing Windows, either BC or through emulation). The PCIIIusb app would run, but I had problems trying to make the connection via the USB port. Perhaps this works better now, I can't answer that.

My next step was to install VMWare Fusion. You will need a Windows install DVD of some sort to do this installation (I happened to have one from a Dell Mini). But once installed, the PCIIIusb app runs under emulation, and can connect to the PCIII module on the bike.

So… my guess is that if you want to put on a tuner, and be able to access it using a Mac (most likely a MacBook of some sort), your only option is going to be to install Windows either through an emulator or through BootCamp.

BTW, I also tried Parallels. Didn't have much luck with it. VMWare seems to be the best way to handle this dilemma….

Old 11-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm just guessing, but I don't think you'll find -any- "tuner software" for Harleys in a "Mac version". The installed base just isn't large enough to justify a Mac-specific edition of the software.

Having said that, I'm a long-time Mac user (since 1987!), and in 2011 picked up a Road Glide that had a Power Commander IIIusb already installed.

I don't have (and don't want) BootCamp installed, so I looked for alternatives.

I tried "CrossOver" first (allows you to run Windows apps without installing Windows, either BC or through emulation). The PCIIIusb app would run, but I had problems trying to make the connection via the USB port. Perhaps this works better now, I can't answer that.

My next step was to install VMWare Fusion. You will need a Windows install DVD of some sort to do this installation (I happened to have one from a Dell Mini). But once installed, the PCIIIusb app runs under emulation, and can connect to the PCIII module on the bike.

So… my guess is that if you want to put on a tuner, and be able to access it using a Mac (most likely a MacBook of some sort), your only option is going to be to install Windows either through an emulator or through BootCamp.

BTW, I also tried Parallels. Didn't have much luck with it. VMWare seems to be the best way to handle this dilemma….