Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help tuning with the SEPST and TW555 cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Gary H
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help tuning with the SEPST and TW555 cams

I've got the SEPST on a 2012 FLHX and having trouble. i had it dyno tuned at the dealership last year and had great HP (98) and torque (107) numbers but my helper this winter disconnected the ECM when we were chasing a short during a handle bar and internal frame wiring install and lost the tune. He tried fixing his mistake before I got back and ended up loosing the tune that was stored in the unit. Anyhow, in this bike, I've installed the TW555 cams, stock heads, etc. and am having a hard time finding a tune that's close. I've tried the 254, 255, and the 260 I believe but they all run like crap. Have gone for several smart tune rides with these and their still not coming close to what I had originally. Dealer didn't savemy old tune in their system so it's gone. Anybody have an idea which cam would be close to the 555's. Any tuning input?

TIA,
Gary

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You won't like this, but the 254s is about where you would need to start. Then you will have to learn how to tune this yourself, or on another dyno.

Friggin dealers suck. Not omly will I give each customer a copy of their tune on a thumb drive, but I also save a copy to the cloud AND the TTS website. (hehe... even it is NOT a TTS tune).

Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Gary H
Cruiser

Yea, I really don't want to go through another dyno tune right now. I intend to do head work and different exhaust this fall/winter. I'm just trying to get it somewhat close. I tried a couple 254 tunes but the bike, although it didn't spit and sputter like the 255 did, had no power. Does the smart tune feature alter the timing? That is what seems like isn't right. I know my last dyno session, the tech said that the bike really didn't buiild power till he altered the timing.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

No, it will not alter the timing. And you cannot get ANY info from the dealer?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Gary H
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
No, it will not alter the timing. And you cannot get ANY info from the dealer?
actually, this dealer has a very high turn over rate with employees. None of the techs that were there when it was tuned are still there. Nothing was saved in their system, so, no, can't get anything.

That explains why running smart tune didn't help the power issues. Do you think buying the training video wuold help me. I understand the bare bones basics, but this is the first time for me doing this.