Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

103 Engine Mods - How Crazy Can You Get While Using 91 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 103 Engine Mods - How Crazy Can You Get While Using 91 Octane

Like the subject line says, what can I do to the 103 while still using 91 Octane?

Pretty annoyed with the power in 6th gear and want to wake the engine up. Right now everything is stock and I'm likely gonna pick up some Rush slip-ons from a guy selling them on Craigslist to hold me over until I determine what's the best thing to do. My budget is fairly large, but I'm not looking to race this thing or anything. So with that, besides an AC/Exhaust and Tune what recommendations can you good folks make.

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

OK. To do a Stage 1, consists of an AC; a GOOD pipe; a tune, and a tuner. Most likely around $1500. So, do that first, get the cost of these things out of the way.

Actually, I would go ahead a get a decent cam and THEN go from there. This will save the tune money when jumping to the cam.

Now, with that done, the bike really will ride decently. I would go with a TMan 555 torquester cam. This seems to me to be way better than the woods equivalents and also the Andrews stuff, too. The torquester tunes in nicely, and has a nice curve.

There will be a ton of folks come on here and offer a different cam... but my friends and I tune bikes and the 555 TMan is really a nice cam.

After this, you will have time to ponder what you really wish to do. AFter this point? Power will start costing real money. I would do the Stage 2 and take a breath. See if the Stage 2 is enough for you AND also tell you what you REALLY want after that.

Once 6th is working for you, you will need to ask yourself some questions... like how do you REALLY ride? Will you want low and mid rpm power or mid and high rpm power?

Those will be your choices with a 103/107. Most like low and mid rpm power BTW. But... you did not describe the bike. Is it a touring? A softie? Or a Dyna? You can get away with more on a Dyna, simply because it is so much lighter than a touring, and the touring really does best at low/mid.

The only true way t get gobs of power all the way around is throw away the 103 and get a 120r or a S&S 124. That IS expensive and radical.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
OK. To do a Stage 1, consists of an AC; a GOOD pipe; a tune, and a tuner. Most likely around $1500. So, do that first, get the cost of these things out of the way.

Actually, I would go ahead a get a decent cam and THEN go from there. This will save the tune money when jumping to the cam.

Now, with that done, the bike really will ride decently. I would go with a TMan 555 torquester cam. This seems to me to be way better than the woods equivalents and also the Andrews stuff, too. The torquester tunes in nicely, and has a nice curve.

There will be a ton of folks come on here and offer a different cam... but my friends and I tune bikes and the 555 TMan is really a nice cam.

After this, you will have time to ponder what you really wish to do. AFter this point? Power will start costing real money. I would do the Stage 2 and take a breath. See if the Stage 2 is enough for you AND also tell you what you REALLY want after that.

Once 6th is working for you, you will need to ask yourself some questions... like how do you REALLY ride? Will you want low and mid rpm power or mid and high rpm power?

Those will be your choices with a 103/107. Most like low and mid rpm power BTW. But... you did not describe the bike. Is it a touring? A softie? Or a Dyna? You can get away with more on a Dyna, simply because it is so much lighter than a touring, and the touring really does best at low/mid.

The only true way t get gobs of power all the way around is throw away the 103 and get a 120r or a S&S 124. That IS expensive and radical.
Great response btw, thanks for the info above. As for the bike, it's a Softail Breakout. I'll look into some of the things you mentioned and what others will provide and make a decision from there. Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AllenW
Looks nice Al. Good write up and some good info for newbies.

Just about the same as my own recommendations, except the 590 will come on later than the 555. A couple of those TMan cams are the bomb, for sure.

OP? WIth a Breakout, you MAY be able to run a slightly larger cam. I didn't read Al's thread all the way thru, just read the 'build'. I would be curious if you ever had it tuned and if you could post a sheet, please?

More power, after a Stage 2 will cost some money. Your wallet can be your guide. HAHA!

You COULD run those 590s if you were to have your heads ported AND CCed. CCing is important, as that could bump the compression up enough to make the 590s shine. (by matching and shrinking the combustion chamber slightly.)

Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Thanks guys, my only concern now is who in San Diego to trust performing this work. CARB requirements make any engine work a b@tch since everyone is worried about getting sued.

Any thoughts?