Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Grinding noise in fuel tank-Anyone having same issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
HRCH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding noise in fuel tank-Anyone having same issue?

I have a 2013 Softail Breakout. At around 1K miles I'm getting this loud grinding noise in the fuel tank. The grinding noise can be heard when the fuel pump is priming. All I have to do is turn on the ignition and run switch. This will only happen when the bike is cool. In other words, if I take the bike on a 30 minute ride, turn off the ignition, turn it back on, all will be ok. However, if the bike sits for a few hours and cools down, the noise will return. Also, if I only start the bike and run it or ride it for a short distance, the loud noise in the fuel tank will return.
I have already brought the bike into the dealer for this noise. I left the bike there for a week and a half. The dealer replaced the fuel pump. However, when I went to the dealer to pick up the bike, the loud noise was still there. I decided to just take the bike home hoping all will be better. But, it wasn't. The loud noise in the fuel tank is still just as bad. I called the dealership the next day. I was told they would have to contact H-D tech line. I was also told there is also a new Fat Boy in the service department that is having the same problem as my bike. The dealer said that noise is not normal. Fuel level has no effect on the noise.

Has anyone experienced this noise before? As long as my bike is cool I can turn my ignition and run switch on all day long and it will always make that terrible grinding noise. It kinda sux knowing that my new Breakout is having this sort of problem. I hope it doesn't breakdown on me.

Thank you