Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM
jpeirens
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Shutdown

Was looking thru the forums but haven't found what I am experiencing. My bike will start fine usually and while riding it will die. The lights and electrical stay on but the bike does. I can sometime turn the ignition off/on and pop the clutch and away I go. But lately I have been noticing that I can't hear the fuel pump start. I'll turn the bike off/on several times and then all of a sudden the fuel pump kicks in and the bike will start. I can ride for undetermined time then it'll do it again. Any ideas guys?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

Start with the fuses and fuel pump relay. The contacts can get a little corroded so you need to clean them. The fuel pump relay may also be going bad but this is something you can buy for a few bucks at an auto parts store.
Also check your connections at the battery and the ground cables.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
jpeirens
Stage III

Originally Posted by nevil
Start with the fuses and fuel pump relay. The contacts can get a little corroded so you need to clean them. The fuel pump relay may also be going bad but this is something you can buy for a few bucks at an auto parts store.
Okay will look at the relay the fuses are good and I'll have another look at my battery cables. I know there's no corrosion there as that was the first place I looked. Have also purchased a run/stop switch kit as I know it hasn't been touched since the bike was new. Also will be looking again at the connector for the fuel pump under the dash for any anomalies like corrosion or a bent or lose connector tab.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM
jpeirens
Stage III

Originally Posted by nevil
Picked up a new relay and wouldn't you know it the bike works like it ahould. Thanks for the input much appreciated.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:51 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

You're welcome.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Dozer40
Road Warrior
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

That happened on my buddy's Dyna...turned out to be the crank sensor. It was a head scratcher.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Fairshake
Cruiser
Default Out of subject matter

My name is David Shultz and I'm a new member. My handle is Fairshake. I have been trying ways to contact Dozer 40 but the system will not allow it. He has a item for sale in the classifieds and I want to buy it.
The system will not even allow me to contact a moderator. I left my contact info on the classified ad. Thanks for any help I may receive. Later David