Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question for Harley Techs Road King Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Harley Techs Road King Wont Start

My brother washed his bike yesterday a 2000 Road King, now it wont start. No engine light at start-up, no light on PCIII, changed all of the relays and followed trouble chart in repair manual. We don't have the Harley test block but from what we can determine with a meter and test light everything points to a bad ECM. We took that off and yep water came out of it. We let it dry over night and still same problem. Is it most likely fried or will more time letting this thing dry out possibly bring it back to life? I know I know, elementary question for someone who is mechanically inclined...but it's a bike not a car Maybe the electronics are more forgiving.

Is this anOEM replacement only or does anyoneknow of aused source? One last thing, the bike is modified and as saidhas a PCIII on it, will replacing the ECM require reprogramming and dyno? I know the software is in the PCIII but since every bike is different will anew ECM change the performance it was married to before?

One last question;my bike...is a 99 Ultra...if we swap ECM's to verify his being bad can I damage mine or cause more damage to his since thebikes are not an exact match?

Thanks, Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 09:35 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Default RE: Question for Harley Techs Road King Wont Start

Sometimes they come back to life - he probably had the protective boot on wrong or not at all. You can swap ecms in your case with no damage. THe PCIII settings are based on the calibration he had in his ecm. The new ecm will need to be flashed to what he had, or a new PCIII map will need to be written around whatever flash is in the used ecm.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

Sometimes they come back to life - he probably had the protective boot on wrong or not at all. You can swap ecms in your case with no damage. THe PCIII settings are based on the calibration he had in his ecm. The new ecm will need to be flashed to what he had, or a new PCIII map will need to be written around whatever flash is in the used ecm.
OSE,

Thank you, pretty much what I thought. I told him to keep drying it, he will have to wait for HD to ship him parts anyway. Seems like no one stocks that here in Phoenix.

Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

do not swap ECM's. Get the OL's hair dryer and dry out the switches.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

Thanks everyone,

It is definitely a bad ECM, I changed it out with the one from my bike and if fired right up…engine light worked, as it should as well as all other indicators. We pulled apart the old ECM, cleaned it, sprayed it with electronic cleaner (nothing to loose), tried drying it with a hair dryer, which did not work. So only time well tell.

Anyway we are in the market for an ECM if anyone has one to sell?

The part HD P/N: 32423-99 or 32423-99B
Thanks Again, Mike