Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning my power commander III

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM
jhenry8208
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning my power commander III

So you can call me dumb if you want but....I purchased a sportster recently and decided I wanted a new exhaust. I ended up being a follower and buying the vance and hines short shots (whatever I like them). I then decided I misewell go all out and buy an air cleaner and tuner as well. I ended up getting the arlen ness big sucker ac and the vance and hines fuel pak. All fine and dandy with me I went to do the install to find that I already had a power commander installed on the bike.....embarassing that I didnt know this (yes). Now my problem is that the guy who has worked on my other bikes in the past is telling me that the map packages they provide are junk and he will just do it for me. FOR $75 bones. I understand that this would be easier but I just cant seem to think it would be that hard to load a new map. Any suggestions anyone? Please keep in mind I do not have any cables. Map advice would be helpful as well. Is he bs'ing me or do they really not have a map that will work with this set up.

Hank.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

The powercommander uses a standard usb, or usb to mini usb cable (can be found at walmart) to connect up to your pc. The software can be downloaded for free at powercommander.com

Now as far as maps go. The powercommander site also had downloadable maps, or you could contact them through email to have them send you a map. If you are still having flat spots or sputtering you can contact them back to have the guys reccomend adjustments and to where. What some people do is have a tuner dyno the bike and make adjustments to the map for peak power. Some people even adjust the maps themselves by butt dyno. That part is up to you to decide but I feel that map availablty is good and the maps that they have given me have been working very well, especially compared to the map I was running with my fuelpak (meaning more power). But even if you decide to go with a custom tune you will still need a base map to start from

Oh and as far as uploading a map.....it couldn't be easier. Just youtube it