Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 download

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 AM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 download

I have a 07 Dyna and it's completly stock and I would like to keep it that way. But I understand they come very lean for epa reasons. I was thinking about doing a hd download to richin it up and make it run the way it's supposed to run in the first place. does anyone know out there if you can just do the download on the stock set up with out any complications. the dealer just said they would do it but could not give me any feed back, the bike runs good now but I'm sure it's running on the lean side.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Default RE: 07 download

You state the bike runs good now so if the heat is not a comfort issue for you I would leave it as is since youplan no mods. Back in the early 90's when the auto makers bump the operating temps on cars and truck to run 210 or better everyone though they were going to fail due to excessive heat. Turns out the hotter temp provide better combustion which means cleaner engines and LONGER engine life.The HD Engineers have spent more time testing this engine than ALL of us combined.

My 2 cents. Riching it up for the sole purpose of making it run cooler has some risk. This motor was designed to work at these temperature, granted once you start modifying it you have no choice but to add fuel. Howeverrunning it too richmay also have unforeseen problems down the road like carbon biuld up, washed cylinders ect.

If it ain't broke don't fixit.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:13 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

You state the bike runs good now so if the heat is not a comfort issue for you I would leave it as is since youplan no mods. Back in the early 90's when the auto makers bump the operating temps on cars and truck to run 210 or better everyone though they were going to fail due to excessive heat. Turns out the hotter temp provide better combustion which means cleaner engines and LONGER engine life.The HD Engineers have spent more time testing this engine than ALL of us combined.

My 2 cents. Riching it up for the sole purpose of making it run cooler has some risk. This motor was designed to work at these temperature, granted once you start modifying it you have no choice but to add fuel. Howeverrunning it too richmay also have unforeseen problems down the road like carbon biuld up, washed cylinders ect.

If it ain't broke don't fixit.
cj is dead on with his post.When I was in the Corvette dyno tuning business back in the early 90s, used to get calls every week, "my car is running too hot." GM turned the first fan turned on at 218 deg F, the second at 228. According to GM the '92' 300 HP LT1 Corvettewas the most powerful small block that GM ever produced, even with the high temps. Now I get guys telling me their Harley is running too hot,yet they can't tell me how hot. More HP equals more heat, unless you negate the HP byrichening itup, make sense?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

Here's irony for ya......running cool ain't all its cracked up to be.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1309774/m...tm.htm#1309774