Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCV (5) and ACR's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCV (5) and ACR's?

I was wondering if any1 is running a PCV (5) oe PC3 along with ACR's?

The way the bike has to start with the PCV. Run/kill switch off, turn key on, flip run/kill switch on and then immediately hit the starter button without waiting for injectors to prime.

Will this affect the way the ACR's function? Will they work this way? Will I have to lose the PCV to have ACR functionality?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless you had a flash tune done to 'turn on' the ACRs, they will not be turning on using the ECM. What some do is wire the ACRS to the starter circuit... when the starter is spinning the ACRs are open.

You can either have a flash tune that turns the ACRs on, which then WHY use a PC5? Or do the starter circuit trick. Do NOT come off of the starter, but find the starter relay, add another relay parallel, and have that second relay fire the ACRs. No problem with the PV5, then.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Unless you had a flash tune done to 'turn on' the ACRs, they will not be turning on using the ECM. What some do is wire the ACRS to the starter circuit... when the starter is spinning the ACRs are open.

You can either have a flash tune that turns the ACRs on, which then WHY use a PC5? Or do the starter circuit trick. Do NOT come off of the starter, but find the starter relay, add another relay parallel, and have that second relay fire the ACRs. No problem with the PV5, then.
I tied the starter relay, bike will not fire wired in this way ACR's need to close after the motor rolls over once. Although I have thought about just wiring in one ACR to the starter relay and take 1/2 the load off the starter.

Yes I know I need turn on the ACR's in the ECM. Trying to decide if I should just move on and upgrade from the PCV or if the ACR's will work starting the bike and the PCV I'd stay with it.

I already have the PCV and it works well with nitrous and having the 2nd map at a flick of a switch, no need to stop load a nitrous map and flash the ECM.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Huh. I have read the starter relay thing works well. Me? I have only used the ECM toggle to turn them on. The PC sounds nice and I wouldn't wish to fool with that either.

Go to harleytechtalk.org, sign up and use the search function. LOTS of fellas suing the starter relay.

On MCRs, I tell most to just use the rear release. There should be a way around this.

If you cannot find anything? Shoot me a PM and I could maybe make things work, using some different tech.

Keep us posted.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:12 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Huh. I have read the starter relay thing works well. Me? I have only used the ECM toggle to turn them on. The PC sounds nice and I wouldn't wish to fool with that either.

Go to harleytechtalk.org, sign up and use the search function. LOTS of fellas suing the starter relay.

On MCRs, I tell most to just use the rear release. There should be a way around this.

If you cannot find anything? Shoot me a PM and I could maybe make things work, using some different tech.

Keep us posted.
It would just never fire up with the ACR's/Starter relay and the way you have to start it with the PC5. I tried wiring it into different sources with a relay and nothing ever worked.

As long as it's cool it doesn't start up bad w/o ACR's (11:1 and 198 CCP) but it's when you stop for gas and want to get going again.

I wanted to take some of the load off the starter. I bought the ACR harness, but I haven't wired it in yet.

What you think about wiring in 1 ACR to the starter relay? This would take 1/2 the load off the starter and the motor I think would fire then.

I am now thinking of buying the auto tune for the PCV, but don't want to waste the $$ if if the PCV won't end up working with the ACR's. and then the cost of a reflash to the ECM I might as well go buy a T-Max.....see my dilemma.
I was doing all my own tuning I was using a Innovate LM2 Data logger to make my fuel maps, long story but I sold the LM2, also its insane to be pulling 3rd gear to 6200/120+ mph, time and time again, I must have made over 75-100 runs like that. I was pulling 4th to 6200 for a while

I'm not sure if the T-Max will fire my home made NO2 system, it is throttle position activated and has a lean shut off safety. I really need to make it all work with the PCV that is already set up for my NO2 system.

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-28-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Lemme think on it. What year and model is the bike? Is it an 08 bagger? I think a dealer could turn on the ACRs with the DT. If not, I think I could turn on the ACRs using Direct Link. WHat I have to find out is will I need to use a 'tuning key' to do so.

Remind me next week and I will call Techno and ask.