Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power vision with lots of decel pop even after revising map.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power vision with lots of decel pop even after revising map.

I got my pv from fuel moto. The first map had crazy amounts of decel pop. I called Jamie and he sent me a revised map, but even with the revised map I still have a lot of decel pop. Also when shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I get a nice loud pop. It gets worse as the bike warms up and it's driving me insane! I took a lighter and put it up to the exhaust flanges and the o2 bungs and from what I can tell there's no exhaust leaks. I sent another request to Jamie for a revised map but I would like to start figuring this thing out for myself without having to call Jamie everyday. I see that he adds fuel to the decel on the revised map, but I don't know if I should add more fuel there or not. It goes -16 at .80 0 at 78 16 at 76. -16 and 0 stayed the same. Starting at 16 he took 20 away all the way down. Now I have no clue what -16 0 16 so on stand for but I do understand that subtracting those numbers add fuel to decel. Should I go to all of the ones he subtracted 20 from and subtract say... Another 5 from it? Sorry if this sounds confusing but I'm just trying to figure this thing out.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Picit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine from jamie too and getting some decel pops but not bad, weather here is still vold so gonna wait for warmer weather to dial it in, might need to get it onthe dyno

Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure what those numbers are, but normally you fight decel pop in 2 areas: the 20 MAP column on your AFR Map and the Decel Enleanment chart. Reducing both will richen up the fuel. On the Decel Enleanment chart you might start by reducing the numbers by 5-10% especially in the warmer temps where you are getting the worst pops, Example: at 262 deg F my Multiplier is .34 so if I reduce it 10% it would be .30 or .31. Recommend working 1 chart/map at a time and seeing how it goes then adjust, keep a copy of the original FM map so you can always go back if needed.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 03-11-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Some more info: In the 20 MAP column I have seen as low as 12.5 AFR/ .856 Lambda used. For Decel pop, you could reduce your numbers towards these especially in the 1500 to 3500 rpm range where you normally get decel pop.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 03-11-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
agove
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to jamie today, he said he would take a look at it again, but I asked him a few questions and i think i'm really starting to understand this thing. I made a few tweaks to the afr, but it's raining like crazy so I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. These fuel moto guys are awesome. You just don't get customer service like you do from these guys now a days. Jamie a solid guy too. I can't imagine doing the business they do and taking every phone call and taking time to walk you through step by step. Usually you call a place and they send you over to their tech support that lives in the middle east and speaks arabic.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done any AutoTune runs to see if your VE's in that range are dialed in? Jaime can get them close, but each motor is different. I'd ensure those are close before I start tweaking other areas.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
agove
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Have you done any AutoTune runs to see if your VE's in that range are dialed in? Jaime can get them close, but each motor is different. I'd ensure those are close before I start tweaking other areas.
So if I'm understanding this correctly your saying to run an auto tune on the map Jamie sent me and compare the auto tune ve tables to the ve tables in Jamies map?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
marknett
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the decelwillprobably be even worse while you are running the autotune due to the setup it uses. After several runs and flashing each run to the ecm , the ve's will finally get dialed in pretty close . Then you can compare . Save to the autotune file evrytime so not to mess up the original fuel moto tune . Also back up the fuel moto tune on your computer

Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, I figured since you had been talking to Jamie that you had already ran Autotune a few times. Follow the Autotune guide and after each AT go into WinPV on your computer and download your new tune and then use the Compare feature to see how your VEs are changing. You want to get the changes down to less than about 3-5%. There are usually 1 or 2 hits on the "edges" of your AT that will be outside the 3-5% but thats OK. Jamie says 3 AT sessions of 20 - 25 mins is usually good enough. After all this, then you can start tweaking as I described above.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
agove
Road Captain

Awesome thanks for letting me know. I made some adjustments before running auto tune but didnt ride because it was raining. Ill just go ahead and put it back to Jamie's map and auto tune then compare the ve tables. Thanks for the help. Ill probably be back for more help. I'm slowly starting to figure this thing out.

Quick Reply: Power vision with lots of decel pop even after revising map.