Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 bias tables on SERT

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 bias tables on SERT

Ya, we were going to set the tablesto 13:1,but the ECM locked up before we could get it base lined, so we never really got around to tuning. Howeverafter installing the 203 cams it was @13.2 WOT and seemed real close to ideal. However when Imaxedthe CBL it dropped it to @ 12.7WOT.I waspointing out in MYcase maxing out the CBL tables forced a rich condition in my bike. Not knowing where you arecurrently at could do the same for someone else. That's why I recommend small steps.

Maxing out the CLB assumes you are running lean, when infact you may be mistuned(?) to an ideal AFR.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

Here's an off the wall question. ( I'mgetting cabin fever, too much time indoors and no time on the scooter).Anyways I know at least a few of you have some extensive knowledge on the automotive side of EFI. so here goes a question. My knowledge on E85 vehicles is limited because I spent all of my professional tuning on high performance/race applications, some with methenol.

On an E85 vehicle itneeds toknow what type of fuel is in the tank. E85, regular gas or a mixture of the two.Say you were running 100% gas and just added a 3/4 tank of ethanol soyou now havea 75/25 mixture. The ECMmust add fuel across the entire range to offset the reduced BTU of the current mixture or you will run lean, (this is verified by reduce mileage). Stoich on pure methenol is 6.5:1 as apposed to 14.6:1 A/Fratio for pump fuelso when the O2 sensor reads .45 volts youare at this ratio if you are running pure methenol. Better hope your fuel delivery and injectors are up to the task. When you start blendingalcohol and fuel,youractual A/F ratio is different then what an pump fuel (not ethenol)applicationedO2 sensor indicates.Today, on most automotive ECM programming, there is alocation to program what thestoich A/F ratio is of the fuel being utilized which getsthem in the ballpark for such applications. How the E85 cars are handling this for various fuels, I'm not sure.

Doesitdetermining the mixture based off closed loop operation and applying it full scale?? Is it possible it's capable of calculating open loop based onRate of acceleration vs Throttle position vs Load, Engine temp rate increase, ect? I think we all agree that Open or Closed loop is determined byO2 sensorsusage, but I find it hard to believe that otheravailable datawould be ignored because the O2 sensors are out of range. I can see that, onan E85 vehicle, it would be easy to compute the fuel's stoich's actual A/F ratio by measureing the amount of air with the mass air flow sensor (MAF)then measure the fuel byinjector flow and compare thisas the O2 sensor reads 14.6 volts. But I'm not sure if this is the way they do it.

Here's a test: Next time you come to a down grade approach it in 5th gear.Shift to sixth but hold the Clutch in and see how long it take for the "6Th gear light to come on". Or pull the clutch in while coasting in sixth gear and see what happens. In most automotive applications, there is a programmable ECMtable for shift lightset up that monitors MAP sensor signalVs RPM to setshift light on or off, possibly done here this wayalso.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Morning fellas

Just got out of the HAWG PEN myself.

Set the 02 bias tables to a max of 798mv across the board on the 159PZ003 map, left all other settings within the map alone, hooked up SERT to ECM, flashed, fired right up! No black smoke.............yet. Need to get it out of the PEN to ride it but torrential rains from last night are going to prohibit this until later this afternoon.

Since the majority of my riding will be in the closed loop arena, according to the AFR table with this particular map, I hope to produce a nice little deduction in heatthereforepotentiallyincreasing the longevity of my engine components..........and thighs!

Interesting reads this AM. This EFI is mighty confusing but I'mplugging away at it.[]

Again, thanks to ALL that replied.........everybody!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Your on the right track with what your running.... The PZ map doesn't work well with tru-duals.. I went with the AE map and it made a world of differance... Max out the tables and ride on...

Old 02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone that installs TRUE Duals on a touring bike MUST use a Shotgun/Shorty Exhaust map, as the Touring System is almost a 2:1 type header.....

If you take a look at the Heritage Springer maps, they are in the TOURING Style exhaust as well.....

Exhaust dynamics are a bear, and you found it out the hard way, Glad you figured it out.....

UK... You are gonna like the feel of it, once you get some saddle time.....

Just pay attention to your NEW VE Values from Data Mode.... They will reveal a wealth of info.....

Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I can't say it enough............THANKS for all your time and replies!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

I'm just trying to pass on the help that many here have shared with me... Lots of great info to read through, and lots of knowledgable folks that share and help out.. The map for tru-duals vs touring was a major plus!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

I'm all on board with the NEW VE values.

My question is at what point would you recommend adjusting the VE to = NEW VE. When they drift more than2%?Or would you watch the Integrator (closed loop) and adjust the VE to equal NEW VE whenever the integratordrift more than a certain percent from 100?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

5% or more is better.....

That onsie stuff will drive you nuts.......

When you see -95/105+ values, make the change.....

You will see that the onsies and twosies are primarily for fuel condition or environmental changes....

Old 02-16-2007, 12:23 AM
FUN2XSs
Cruiser

How are you doing with adjustments UltraK. I just finished getting mine back together. Completed 15K service (first time I have done myself). Installed V&H true duals with Oval Mufflers. Installed K&N 3909 air intake / filter and SERT. I downloaded the 105LF003-DO-MT6 file for SE Intake w/ SE Slip on Mufflers. Just fired up the bike tonight... to lateand too COLD for a quick spin, but Ohhhhhhh did it sound good. May ride it to work tomorrow. Anyway, I've been looking over the various tables lots of questions .. have to do more reading, but wanted you all to know I as well have appreciated your patience and answers to all my newbe questions.

Ride Safe / Have FUN

Quick Reply: 02 bias tables on SERT