Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Flush Mount Fuel Guage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Tooz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush Mount Fuel Guage

Just got the flush mount guage and gas cap for my RK Custom. The dealer said the fuel guage would be a piece of cake to install. Just cut the wires from the stock one, fit the new one down the hole, snap the wires into the new housing and your good to go! Well, the factory installation is so tight that I barely have a 1/2 inch of space to work with. The instructions state to remove the original fuel gauge (not cut the wires!!!)according to instructions in the Service Manual. I really don't want to spend $58 for a Service Manual. Has anyone installed one of these before? If so, could you provide this novice with some guidance? Thanks!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Flush Mount Fuel Guage

follow the instructions that came with the flush mount gauge, DON'T CUT THE WIRES!

The directions say to unplug the gauge harness from underthefuel tank,remove the pins from the connector, pull the old fuel gauge off the tank, and pull the wires out of the tube.

fish the new fuel gauge wires through the tube, and mount the flush gauge, put the wires into the new connector (supplied with the flush fuel gauge) and plug it back into the harness.

That's how i did mine and everything went smoothly![8D]

Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Tooz
2nd Gear

Is there a trick to disconnecting the existing harness? On my bike, the wires and harness are right up against the tank and frame with no slack at all. I can barely get my fingertip to the back of the harness, let alone any device to pry the front or back loose. Is there a trick to snapping the harness open to disconnect the wires. An HD mechanic told me that with everything so tight on the new bikes, you have to raise the tank up. Evidently, the wires are tie-clamped up underneath the tank. If you lift the tank, snap the tie-clamp, you can get the slack you need to disengage the harness. If that's what I have to do, I'll let the dealer do it! If there is a trick to unsnapping the harness when you can barely touch it, I'd love to know it! Thanks!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

on my '06 Deuce, the gauge harness goes through a plastic loop, it unclips and opens up so that the wires can be removed from it, use a flashlight and look at it real good.

then you will need something to remove the pins from the plug, I used a small jewelers screw driver.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Tooz

Is there a trick to disconnecting the existing harness? On my bike, the wires and harness are right up against the tank and frame with no slack at all. I can barely get my fingertip to the back of the harness, let alone any device to pry the front or back loose. Is there a trick to snapping the harness open to disconnect the wires. An HD mechanic told me that with everything so tight on the new bikes, you have to raise the tank up. Evidently, the wires are tie-clamped up underneath the tank. If you lift the tank, snap the tie-clamp, you can get the slack you need to disengage the harness. If that's what I have to do, I'll let the dealer do it! If there is a trick to unsnapping the harness when you can barely touch it, I'd love to know it! Thanks!
Tooz, I had the exact same problem on my '06 RK Classic. I started looking at some of my fellow bikers rides that were '05 and earlier models and couldn't help but notice that it must have started for the '06 RK's that the harness was a pain in the rear to get to whereas on the earlier models that I looked at the harness was much easier to access with you hand. My HD mechanic told me the same about raising the tank up so I just let him do it since the bike was going in for service anyway.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Tooz
2nd Gear

Glad to hear that someone else had the same issue! I'm not very mechanical, so I never know if it's just my stupidity. I think I'll just let the dealer do it during a service visit. I did think ofbreaking the existing harness off with a pair of pliers or something. It's just a piece of plastic. Would you recommend giving that a try?

Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

If it's like mine, all you need to do is put the blade of a screwdriver under the bottom endof the clip, twist the screwdriver and it should open up.

no need tobreak somethingbecause you don't understand how to take it apart!

take your time and try to figure out how things work and you'll be fine...[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 02-14-2007, 12:54 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

i just did mine itook out thetank bolts and had a buddy help. u really do need 3 hands for this.. it was not that easy on my 06 bob but i got it done start to finish in about an hour.. do yourself a favore and get a service manual if u are going to do any work on the bike its worth its weight in gold.. i found mine on ebay for about half the price . dont cut any wires .. also i had to lube grease the o ring on my fuel cap because after washing the bike i seen some water in the neck of the tank ..

Old 03-03-2007, 09:16 AM
brillowolf
Cruiser

also i had to lube grease the o ring on my fuel cap because after washing the bike i seen some water in the neck of the tank ..
Has anyone else experienced this problem with the flush mount cap and guage?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
monkey3
Intermediate

I installed the new gauge which was pretty easy to do
except he little blue gas pump stays lit up all the time.
I had read her before that a grey wire needs to be added from the console
to where ??????????????????????????????????? there is no mention of this
in the instructions anywhere. Is it suppose to just be on when the tank is
getting low like the one on the speedo. I have an 06 EFI night train.