Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Left Turn Signal Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 AM
RLMHD
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Turn Signal Problems

I have a 2000 Fatboywith a problem with the left turn signal, at a normal idle the left turn signal will blink as it should, but if I increase the RPM's the turn signal will stop blinking and stayon until the RPM's are reduced at which time the turn signal will start blinking aging.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
scoutscrc
Stage III
Default RE: Left Turn Signal Problems

If you have done anything to reduce the voltage draw of the turn signals you will need to install a load equalizer. The automatic turnsignal cancelling modulerequires a factory set draw to makethem work. You can read up on it here: http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm

Old 02-20-2007, 01:43 PM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah,check the bulb socket sounds like an identical problem I had after months chasing nothing.The housing is the ground as it is a one wire system.They have been known to vibrate enough to loose contact with .Take lens off and jiggle the socket with bulb out If its loose you will know it.Take the housing off and reppace the socket itself or tap the backside of the socket down for a tighter fit.Apply some type of sealant to hold better if desired...best to replace the socket.just a hunch....

Old 07-21-2007, 09:42 AM
uktzero
Advanced

First of all, have you ruled out a vibration induced problem with any of the wiring? ... maybe idle is a 'sweet spot' for some ground somewhere and when you rev it it's enough to lose contact just enough to cause your problem ... any of the wiring obviously lose or vibrated intoa strange position?

Check for grounding problems ... I had a similar problem with mine, among othererratic signal operation problems - seemed like they only worked when they wanted towhen I first got it ... it turned out that the large grounding strap on the very bottom of the engine to the frame had vibrated the bolt out of the engine part of it ... one bolt and a washer, and all of my electrical problems were 100% fixed

I've got power to spare now, my lights don't dim at all when it goes to idle, or the blinkers are on ... I've never had a bike that had this much electrical power, not even brand new ones

Grounding is so much more important that it seems ... it can make all the difference between a unridable weekend project bike and a perfect hassle free road trip machine ... go check the grounds! - start at the bottom

Also, that socket trick sounds like a good idea too … I replaced all of my signal, brake and marker lenses yesterday due to fading and I found a lot of funk in some of the sockets … a paper towel and some WD-40 works wonders in the sockets - and if you're really **** about it, a dab of tune up dielectric grease on the end of the bulb wont hurt

BTW, wow, those all of those new plastic lenses are cheap from the dealer, and make a lot of difference to freshen up an older bike!

Best of luck, I am anxious to hear what ends up fixing this problem