Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

The fine art of starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
puil9
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The fine art of starting

I have been starting my morotcycle almost every day for the last two and a half years now, and I have noticed that there are a few variables involved such as whether to roll on the throttle before ignition, how long to let the fuel pump run, and how long to keep the starter running while waiting for the engine to turn over. These nuances are what I would like to discuss here.

I do have two specific questions though.

{2010 FXWG with 103ci big bore/racing cam kit, super tuner, 2->1 pipes, heavy breather, new (one week old) screaming eagle plugs, stock cables, and a battery that I just had to take down to the autoparts store to get recharged last week. Oh, yeah synthetic oil I changed 2k miles ago.}

Cold starting: This morning, mid to upper 30's: yub yub yub (cough) (fart) yub... yub..........yub. Then I give up because I learned my lesson about running down the battery last week. Smells like fuel. Ok, I'll replace or recharge the battery, and go get myself some of those 10mm spark plug wires, but I keep feeling that this is happening because of some saddle/throttle interface error.

Hot starting: A very hot day in Houston. I pull up to a gas station, fill up and then try to start the engine. It makes some godawful sound like it's trying to puke up the tranny through the tailpipe, and everybody stares at me like some poseur who doesn't even know how to start his own bike. Nightmare scenario is at a stoplight when I accidentally pop the clutch! All it needs is a little extra time to cool down and it'll start right up, but HOW MUCH TIME, and can I finesse some of the variables mentioned above to avoid the problem altogether?

Cheers y'all,
-puil9

Last edited by puil9; 01-16-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: changed "carb" to "cam"