Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Your advice on installing and seting up PCIII.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Your advice on installing and seting up PCIII.

I am goingto install my PCIII when it arrives in the next two days. I decided I will try the map from fuelmoto before taking it to the tuner. Just to see how close it is, and ifa tune is really necessary.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum about the PCIII. Could you guys please post any advice you have on the install and set up. For example, setting throttle position to ZERO. Any help will be appreciated, and others may find this helpful as well. I know Faction is having a hard time with his, so maybe this will help all of us.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 AM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your advice on installing and seting up PCIII.

Hi WARG,

You can try a map from the site as well. With the Hatchets I would try a map with VH Straightshots. Thats whta the guy from Porker reccomended. Also use dielectric grease on the connectors. Zeroing the throttle is easy. I could probably explain it but there is a tutorial on the PC site that explains it easier.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Dogs of war
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

Hi WARG,

You can try a map from the site as well. With the Hatchets I would try a map with VH Straightshots. Thats whta the guy from Porker reccomended. Also use dielectric grease on the connectors. Zeroing the throttle is easy. I could probably explain it but there is a tutorial on the PC site that explains it easier.
Why the grease?

Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After my recent experience, I'd say get the dyno tune.
The maps you download will be even for both jugs. Mine were so different it was amazing.
Dyno guy said they are all like that.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Faction...

Rhubarb,
that is really my only motivation for getting a tune is b/c after checking my plugs, even my limited plug-reading ability tells me my cylinders are running at different temps.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 AM
dynodude
Intermediate

If you have access to a good dyno tuner with the proper dyno, then I would get the tune. If your tuner knows what he is doing, he will able to dial in your PC to give you satifactory results across most throttle positions and rpm's. I find all the PC maps require some tuning in order to get them to fuel correctly for each bike, regardless of the use of the specific parts in the files.Also keep in mind that while th PC is a very good compromise, it is a compromise.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dogs of war

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

Hi WARG,

Why the grease?
It helps eliminate corrosion and keeps water out

Old 02-06-2007, 09:33 PM
sanaga
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: WARG

Thanks Faction...

Rhubarb,
that is really my only motivation for getting a tune is b/c after checking my plugs, even my limited plug-reading ability tells me my cylinders are running at different temps.

hey bro, please tell me what colour of your stock plug when you unplug and see it?
mine colour white....and i think i will buy a pc3 to correct the fueling.......

Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

My plugs are more dark brown on the front cylinder and lighter white/tan on the rear cylinder. looks like I am running a bit lean on the rear. I hear this is commonon Vtwins b/c the rear cylinder get less cooling affect from wind and so forth. The PCIII can be tuned to deliver the proper amount of fuel for each cylinder individually. I am hoping to also eliminate the decel popping as well.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 AM
dynodude
Intermediate

Gentlemen, I can't believe you are talking about trying to tune your bikes by reading the plugs. That strategy USED to work with carbs, but is entirely useless for fuel injection. Consider this; your PC has 425 fuel adjustment points, plus an equal amount for adjusting the ignition. Add the accelerator pump utility to this and it quickly becomes apparent why that type of "tuning" will not work. How could you possibly decipher from looking at the plugs which of those 225 cells per cylinder is rich or lean. Also consider that todays fuels have oxygenators added to reduce emmissions. If you see any tanning on your plugs at all, chances are that you are extremely rich. But which cell, at which throttle position and which rpm will you adjust? Without an AFR and some way to target the TP and RPM you're just guessing, and could do more harm than good by using broad assumptions and "carb tuning mentality."

Quick Reply: Your advice on installing and seting up PCIII.