Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Your advice on installing and seting up PCIII.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Your advice on installing and seting up PCIII.

That is exaclty why I have decided to take my bike to a tuner. $200.00 for some peace of mind and a properly tuned bike is money well spent.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sanaga

ORIGINAL: WARG

Thanks Faction...

Rhubarb,
that is really my only motivation for getting a tune is b/c after checking my plugs, even my limited plug-reading ability tells me my cylinders are running at different temps.

hey bro, please tell me what colour of your stock plug when you unplug and see it?
mine colour white....and i think i will buy a pc3 to correct the fueling.......
I can pull them tonight and take a look for you. The last ones I pulled at 10k looked fine, but from the dyno they werent.
I

Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm watching trying to decide if I should buy a pc3 or not. But thus far I have decided not...Somone convicne me...

Old 02-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anubisss,

If you are running fine, why fool with it?
Do you really want to spend $600 between the pciii and a tune so you can maybe get 1 more mpg?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: dynodude

Gentlemen, I can't believe you are talking about trying to tune your bikes by reading the plugs. That strategy USED to work with carbs, but is entirely useless for fuel injection. Consider this; your PC has 425 fuel adjustment points, plus an equal amount for adjusting the ignition. Add the accelerator pump utility to this and it quickly becomes apparent why that type of "tuning" will not work. How could you possibly decipher from looking at the plugs which of those 225 cells per cylinder is rich or lean. Also consider that todays fuels have oxygenators added to reduce emmissions. If you see any tanning on your plugs at all, chances are that you are extremely rich. But which cell, at which throttle position and which rpm will you adjust? Without an AFR and some way to target the TP and RPM you're just guessing, and could do more harm than good by using broad assumptions and "carb tuning mentality."
I think Dynodude is right on these points, but I think you can get some info from inspecting the plugs. Here is a decent explanation of plug reading, and although it is described for a racing environment I think it gives some insight on the process. He insists that the plugs be read only after shutting the engine down at the end of the dragstrip and towed back to the pits, so if you want to read your plugs at, say, a 60-mph cruise you would run it at that speed at normal operating temperature, then shut it down at that speed, then lastly pull and inspect the plugs.

http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html

Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Anubisss,

If you are running fine, why fool with it?
Do you really want to spend $600 between the pciii and a tune so you can maybe get 1 more mpg?
Good point. I'm at a point where the bike is running fine; gets acceptable mileage; doesn't detonate, surge, or cough; and I wonder if a dyno tune will be worth the money spent. There are no tuners with DynoJet's Tuning Link software in my area, but there are three fairly close, the nearest about 80 miles away. The problem is that I know nothing about any of them, much less which is the best of the three. That is keeping me from doing anything at this point, but I might do the dyno tune if I thought I was in good hands and it didn't cost and arm and a leg.