Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Race tuner wont communicate

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Race tuner wont communicate

Good starting map.....

By installing a SE 50 mm TB file, the bike will be so rich it won't be funny.....

SE injectors flow at 4.89 gm/sec....

Stock injectors flow at 4.35 gm/sec....

Problem is gonna be getting the cams to work with the heads, and you are going to have to adjust the Flow of the injectors.....

Then the ECM is going to be expecting all this air/fuel (Through the 50mm), and it is not there......

This is when you really need to have it on a DYNO with o2 readings to establish a baseline map to ride it for your break-in miles....

Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my opnion would be to dump the SERT, save the money you're going to spend on a dyno tune and get a Thundermax ECM with autotune.

less headaches and you can spend more time riding your bike![8D]

Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM
johnnyfromchicago
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that program and loaded it to look at but it seems to be leaner than the one thats in it already.(Theres a big patch of 14.5afrs in the middle of the map.) I changed my map to 13.9 in the big lower end section and it runs much smoother, but I took a plug reading and its still white. So far I've just played with the afr and not the VE. Does anyone know what kind of changes should be made to that table?

Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

The only way to tell will to put it on a dyno, establishing all of your loads and TP settings, and adjust your VE's from the feedback that the o2 meter gives you.....

You have gone "Outside" of a conventional build, and it needs to be tuned in properly.....

Manipulating the Desired AFR map is only telling the ECM that that is what it should do, to get it to actually get to that AFR, you need to modify the VE (Volumetric Effeciency) Tables to achieve that Target/Desired AFR.....

As far as the Thundermax, yes it is a good system, but you still need to have an ESTABLISHED BASE ECM PROGRAM for it to auto tune correctly....

Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM
johnnyfromchicago
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering why my plugs were still white after the afr changes. It does run much smoother now and pulls higher rpm stronger. I'm just trying to get by until I can find a shop to do the tune. I don't want to pay 300 to some douche and have him load another generic program in 5 mins and then have to argue with him later.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Just start doing some homework, as to what Dyno Operators are WELL TRAINED for SERT in your area....

Ask around, talk to people that have had work done and how their bikes feel, perform and run in the operating range.....