Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help Identifying Electrical Component

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
kitehog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help Identifying Electrical Component

I posted this in the touring forum but in hindsight it probably should have been here;

I purchased a 08 FLHTC back in July one of the first things I did was change out the stereo. When I pulled the outer fairing I noticed a few "components" that are not identified in my service manual. I've done some research but can not figure out what they are.

Its probably something simple but I hate not knowing. Its obvious they were added after it was purchased because of the way they are mounted and wired in. This is definitely not a factory or even a dealer install.

The one component had a serial number that I googled but found nothing.

Anyway here are some pics, Im hoping someone can help me out

The two components are installed here

The first has nothing on the top but has a little light on the front right that will blink occasionally when it is bumped which makes me think it may be some type of an alarm system but I do not have a key fob and never needed to do anything special to start the bike

Here is the bottom

It is wired into two places one seems to go into the main harness and the other to a relay

Here is the relay

Here is where the other wires go

The other component has no numbers or marking and has a single wire bundle coming out of it that disappears into the main wire bundle in the fairing

Any help figuring out what these things are and if they actually need to be there would be greatly appreciated.

Its obvious to me that whoever owned the bike before me had done some work on it as it had a load equalizer in it for a LED headlight and the fairing speakers had been upgraded. Unfortunately I purchased the bike form a dealer (Non HD) and have no way of contacting the original owner.

Thanks Again
Greg

Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

based on the box itself being sealed and it lighting up when bumped, then the other black box being sealed with epoxy on the bottom of it, then the relay (4th picture), I would bet its an alarm system of some sorts.

Where does that grey wire go coming out of the box in the last pic? Can you untape that bundle where it goes it to see what it's tied into?
Where do the wires on the relay (4th pic) go?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
kitehog
Tourer

Thanks for the reply
I was looking at it again today and it seems that movement does not cause it to blink it just blinks all the time. It has a red light that blinks at a pretty constant rate and then a green light above it that is more random. I tried tapping on it and moving it upside down and it did not seem to change the rate of blinking.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
kitehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Where does that grey wire go coming out of the box in the last pic? Can you untape that bundle where it goes it to see what it's tied into?
Where do the wires on the relay (4th pic) go?
I did not unwrap the bundle to see where it went as its tied into the largest wire bundle in the fairing. I may have to do that and look at the wiring diagram in my manual.

Im almost at the point of saying "If it aint broke don't fix it" as the bike runs fine, I just hate not knowing!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

sorry typing at the same time.. I still bet its an alarm.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
kitehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
sorry typing at the same time.. I still bet its an alarm.
Im thinking your right, I may chase the wires a little more to see if I can remove it. The bike did not come with a key fob or anyhingto arm or disarm the alarm so it does not seem to be active if thats what it is

Thanks Again
Greg

Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,002 Likes on 4,193 Posts
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by kitehog
Im thinking your right, I may chase the wires a little more to see if I can remove it. The bike did not come with a key fob or anyhingto arm or disarm the alarm so it does not seem to be active if thats what it is

Thanks Again
Greg
Could it be a keyless ignition module?

If you try to find out were the wires go, what color they have and to what color they connect at the harness, you might be able to draw a diagram and post it. Once we know what color wires of the harness are used to connect to, we might be able to find out what it's used for....

Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm thinking alarm, too. Control box, relay for horn or siren, and a remote box for a fob OR to report it is being messed with.