Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Charging Problems Still

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Charging Problems Still

Ok guys, I followed the do it yourself charging system check. Everything checks out ok. Stator 22 volts at 1k rpm 44volts at 2k+. Continuity check on regulator via test light, the tester does not light up, hence no continuity. Via voltmeter, no continuity. Batters 12.7 volts, ok under load. cables cleaned, connections tightened. No stone left unturned.

Here's the symptoms.....first thing in the morning voltmeter reads 13 volts with nothing on, turn on passing lights, down to 12.25 volts, turn on radio 12 volts, turn on saddlebag rail lights 11.7 volts. These readings taken from onboard amp gauge. This is at road speed 55 mph. At redlights, turning on signals, drops to 11.5 volts and then higher as the lights cycle on/off. Hitting the brake lights causes the volt meter to drop to 10.5 at idle and 11 at speed. It also causes the lights to visibly dim. Turned on the passing lights and the electra glow bag lights last night and the passing lights would work for a while fine, then the right one would blink then come back on.

Also accompanying is a whine in the radio rear speakers that happens whether the radio is on or off if then speaker volume control is raised. (This may simply be a plug wire problem. Previous owner told me the wires have probably never been changed since new.

Bike has never failed to start, Until I get it figured out, I just don't turn extra things on.....

Any ideas or suggestions?

Bubba[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 08-12-2005, 04:01 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Charging Problems Still

Two things come to mind

A bad stator, showing all the right voltages and continuity can still show up as bad stator, it just will not carry a load. how about with all systems off, what voltage do you register, and if you run it down a bit with lights etc. , does it charge back up again on it's own?

A bad ground , maybe at the regulator, remove the reg and clean the frame where it mounts
Load test the battery, how old is it?

You said " These readings taken from onboard amp gauge." Thats charge rate not volts, a volt gauge will tell the volts

Let us know

Old 08-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks TCSTD,

with everything off except the head light, it shows 12.75 volts on the gauge. If I run everything and the gauge pulls down to 11.5, when I trun everything off, it goes back to 12.75 You're right about the voltmeter ....my mistake.....Bike has never failed to crank, never been slow to crank. Battery is 5 months old, stator and rotor have 13k miles on them. Previous owner had a new crate engine put in then. Regulator, however is 95 model that came on the bike.Have taken all cables and grounds off and cleaned them. It may yet be the stator but I just hate to throw parts at it until I fix it.

Thanks for your help

Bubba

Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The old style stator are prone to shorting out. You will find that the plug is burned at the case. Upplug it and look at the connections. I did a post on HOW TO REPLACE the stator. Very common issue. They will make volts but little of no amps. Let me know if you need a stator kit. Most time the reg get hurt in the process as well. Kits are not to pricey. I replace a few a month many times I find them on a service, I find that the out put is not up to snuff. It is just starting to fail. Better ti find it now then be stuck on side of road.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: HDWRENCH

The old style stator are prone to shorting out. You will find that the plug is burned at the case. Upplug it and look at the connections. I did a post on HOW TO REPLACE the stator. Very common issue. They will make volts but little of no amps. Let me know if you need a stator kit. Most time the reg get hurt in the process as well. Kits are not to pricey. I replace a few a month many times I find them on a service, I find that the out put is not up to snuff. It is just starting to fail. Better ti find it now then be stuck on side of road.

Sure did, here it is Thanks HDW https://www.hdforums.com/m_85344/tm.htm

Old 08-12-2005, 07:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Thanks TCSTD,

with everything off except the head light, it shows 12.75 volts on the gauge. If I run everything and the gauge pulls down to 11.5, when I trun everything off, it goes back to 12.75 You're right about the voltmeter ....my mistake.....Bike has never failed to crank, never been slow to crank. Battery is 5 months old, stator and rotor have 13k miles on them. Previous owner had a new crate engine put in then. Regulator, however is 95 model that came on the bike.Have taken all cables and grounds off and cleaned them. It may yet be the stator but I just hate to throw parts at it until I fix it.

Thanks for your help

Bubba
Check it with a decent meter at the battery to verify the gauge is not off, they don't have a history of being extremely accurate.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for your help guys. I took off the front fairing to replace the windshield and while there checked every damn connection under the fairing (on an Ultra, it looks like spaghetti) In the course of things, I checked every thing that might look like a grouond there and around the neck. Fouond one single phillips screw on the right side near the neck that had one single wire under it, appearing to be a ground of some sort. Cleaned it, put it back on and tightened it up. replaced windshield, put fairing back together, started bike, voila ! charging system perfect. Turned on passing lights, still good, radio on, still good, cb on still good, electra glow rear rail lights, still good, turn signals stilll good.

Cold beer after cleaning up........priceless

Thanks again for your help

Bubba

Old 08-16-2005, 02:58 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

All's nice that ends nice, glad your back up and running again

Old 09-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Square Dude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2001 Road King recently had charging system problems. I must have ridden it a while before realizing the battery was almost dead (no indicator). First, I checked the stator by unplugging it from the regulator and conneting an a.c. voltmeter. It put out 50 - 60 volts a.c. with a little throttle so I began to suspect the regulator. I noticed that after it ran a while it didn't seem to be charging the usual 13.5 to 14 volts. I was really confused! So, when it was cool, I pierced the stator external wires with straight pins, connected my a.c. voltmeter, set a high idle and walked away. About 5 minutes into the test I heard the engine rev up! When I checked the meter there was no output from the stator! I found that the stator wires were burned to a crisp where they connect to the external wires inside the primary case. A new stator has fixed the problem but when you realize that the higher the engine RPM the more the single phase (technical term for unreliable) stator puts out I don't expect it to last very long. The regulator doesn't control the output of the stator - engine speed does. I'll keep it in the neighborhood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4239/4937F938200D42DEA266B11FD1397A9E.jpg[/IMG]