Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need Help Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM
roadking238
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Fuel Injection

I have 2001 Road King with a magnett marelli fuel injection. I have owned the bike only a few months and i am having nothing but problem with the fuel system in this bike. i have already replaced all fuel lines and fuel pump. the other day i was riding and the bike engine just died out. did the checks got spark and i have fuel going to the injection but the bike is not starting. when i spray starter fluid into the intake the bike fires up like nothing to it.but wont stay running. leaves me to believe its a fuel problem. any help and advice would be great. parts to way to expensive to go replacing one after another. please help

Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
custommade48
2nd Gear

We are having a similar problem with a 2001 Road King , hard to start sometimes .

I'm sure it has the same injection system . Looking for a solution as well .

Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking238
I have 2001 Road King with a magnett marelli fuel injection. I have owned the bike only a few months and i am having nothing but problem with the fuel system in this bike. i have already replaced all fuel lines and fuel pump. the other day i was riding and the bike engine just died out. did the checks got spark and i have fuel going to the injection but the bike is not starting. when i spray starter fluid into the intake the bike fires up like nothing to it.but wont stay running. leaves me to believe its a fuel problem. any help and advice would be great. parts to way to expensive to go replacing one after another. please help
Originally Posted by custommade48
We are having a similar problem with a 2001 Road King , hard to start sometimes .

I'm sure it has the same injection system . Looking for a solution as well .
First order of business for both of you would be to check trouble codes. You would need at the minimum a Diagnostic Test Lamp (HD-41197). When you first turn the ignition switch on the check engine light should illuminate for around 4 seconds, then go out. If there is a functional error the check engine light will illuminate as before for 4 seconds, go out, then illuminate again for about 8 seconds. If a current trouble code exists the light will remain on as long as the ignition is energized. You really need a service manual's aid for troubleshooting these systems.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

have either of you checked your CPS (crank position sensor)? could be dirty or needing to be replaced.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM
custommade48
2nd Gear

We are taking it to a Harley mechanic this week , I'll let you know what we find .

Thanks for the input. UltraNutz & rickss69

Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just had a 2000 FLHRI in our shop as it would not start. Customer brought it in saying he thought it was the fuel pump. But it was the ECM. The Control Module was not allowing the fuel pump to fully prime.
BTW the Marelli setup was not a very good one. They inherently have lots of problems. We recommend to our customers that want to keep the bike to perform a Delphi Conversion by replacing the throttle body and ECM offered by Zippers Performance.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

good information to store in the few brain cells I have left... thanks...

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
custommade48
2nd Gear

We found the problem with the hard starting Road King , it was the throttle body , it was all gummed up and the air filter was dirty .
Purrs like a kitten now .
Thanks for the help guys .

Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

always the simple things that get you! :-) glad you got it sorted out

Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
roadking238
Stage II

Thanks for all the help. I will start going though the list. thanks again.

Quick Reply: Need Help Fuel Injection