Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Another PCIII question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Another PCIII question

iClick,

So he said that the timing advancement in the cruise range wont help much on a low compression engine. He mentioned that unless it was severely retarded because of high compression it would be splitting hairs.

Here is the dyno (photo not scan because I wasn't in the office) and the maps. Notice how different as well as how much he leaned the map in some spots...
Dyno sheet. Red is Fuelmoto tune, Blue is after
Look at the before vs after AFR

Fuel table 1

Fuel table 2 Look at how lean for this one...

Ignition timing

And of course, my original map...

Old 02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest problem is that most of the fuel injection companies I've delt with over the past 25 years have always given me settings that were on the fat side because of the way people are they don't want the hassle of someone coming back and trying to get a new engine because the settings were lean, better to err on the richside. This is why I'm still using a Zero PC3 map and only making changes where I feel are needed. If I can ever get the bike out and up to normal operating temps, but it's just tooooooo damm cold out right now. How big were the changes? and did it stop the decell pops?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Changes were HUGE Compare the top 2 (1 for each cylinder) to the bottom which is the fuelmoto map.
No popping, but some slight gurgling sometimes.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Iclick...

Oh man was my map from Fuelmoto off!

I'll scan my dyno sheet on Monday when I get to work.
I was running so rich, I'm suprised it ran at all!
I have to pull the maps off the bike, but wife wants to go to dinner soon.
I'll grab em tonight though. Cylinders were way way different.

Original AF was as low as 11:1 at times...

Original max run: 66hp 73tq
After Tune max run: 79hp 83tq

Smooth as a sumbitch now too. I was VERY skeptical coming into this, but I'm a believer now. Without all the right tools there is no way to do it right from home.

It doesn't have trouble all the time. A lot of the time it runs great. Every once in a while it stutters or spits just enough to get me off balance.
It's done a real number on my low speed confidence. My appointment is at 10am tomorrow, so I should have some info by tomorrow night.

I'm hoping to get 40mpg and perfect running. If I can even just get the perfect running I'll be happy.

$375 for a tune! Going labor rate here is $100 an hour, they tell me 2.5-3 hours. I'm gonna sit there for all 3 hours if I'm paying full rate.

Guys, hopeyou're taking notes, with today's high tech engine management systems, the good ole days of seat of the pants tuning are over andfor thebetter. You can't compete with today'smore precise tuning by good shops with good, experiancedtuners and the right equipment.Also, the bestdynotuningjobsI've done is in a room by myself and the vehicle, the worst tuningjobs I've done are with a customer or worse yet a customer and his friendsdistracting me.Equate this to your job withuninformed people alwayslooking over your shoulder asking questions.Expert tuning is likebrain surgery, requireing much uninteruptedconcentration. Now that I'm retired, I'm going to look up thoseguys at their jobs that had to be there with meand see if I canbe with them at their jobsasking stupidquestions while they are working. Have a few doctorshigh on my list.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this map that I made about a week ago. I didn't add the 0% throttle changes to eliminate the decell pops yet. I develpoed it more for fuel economy and air fuel ratios. I also made changes to the ignition table that retards the timing on hard acceleration in the 40 to 100% throttle range, at the 1500 to 3000 RPM range.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 AM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My map that Fuelmoto loaded for me was too rich also on the low end. The mid and upper range was pretty good, but the low end was way too rich.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:01 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Rhubarb,

I decided to take my bike into the tuner. He is going to install my PCIII and tune each cylinder as well as do before and after dyno runs. So I am excited to get in there and get my bike running the best it can.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Warg, I think you will like it. Just make sure they do a good job! Some will tune for WOT only.

I can't believe the difference. I have about 300 miles since my Saturday tune and it's night and day.
Gas mileage is not great, but then again I can't keep out of the throttle. Once I get over the change, I'll get a good number I'm sure.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

iClick,

So he said that the timing advancement in the cruise range wont help much on a low compression engine. He mentioned that unless it was severely retarded because of high compression it would be splitting hairs.

Here is the dyno (photo not scan because I wasn't in the office) and the maps. Notice how different as well as how much he leaned the map in some spots...
Dyno sheet. Red is Fuelmoto tune, Blue is after
Look at the before vs after AFR
That's really amazing. Who woulda thunk it, having the two cylinders so different. So what A/F ratio were you trying to get for performance (like full throttle) and cruise? I've been told that 12.8-13.2 is ideal for performance and 13.8 for cruise--but I would set cruise more like 14.2, maybe higher, as long as it didn't overheat or detonate.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

AFR at WOT he wanted 13.5 and cruise 14
It's running great at that.

Quick Reply: Another PCIII question