Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Another PCIII question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:37 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another PCIII question

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

iClick,

I failed... I have scheduled an appointment with a well respected dyno house for Saturday.
My bike has spit and stalled on me 2x now, and i just want it done with.

I will post the map, they said they will make it as fuel efficient as possible. They also said that doesn't mean they will cut power.
We shall see what happens. They are going to let me sit with the guy the whole time and discuss things with him.

I'm going to ask about adjusting the timing as you are doing. I have written lots of notes from your posts.

Thanks for all the help. I wish I wasn't so chicken, but she's my baby[&:]
Let us know what map they started with and the map you ended up with, I'd like to see how they compare.
Something else I just found out is that Dynojet just came out with a newer version of their USB software, I don't know what changes were made but I've already downloaded it but haven't used it yet because it's so damm cold outside right now.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Will do.

Iclick, I plan on seeing what I can find out about what you are doing as well.
Hopefully I can validate your changes are safe.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Will do.

Iclick, I plan on seeing what I can find out about what you are doing as well.
Hopefully I can validate your changes are safe.
I'd appreciate it. Your bike coughs and stalls with the map you posted a month or so ago? After my tweaking, mine's much leaner than yours in the take-off and cruise ranges, and I get no coughing, except the small burps I mentioned earlier. Did a 160-mile ride today with no issues. Did I post my last map? It shows a "2" in all squares between 2000-2750 and 5-10% throttle. I also leaned the take-off (1000-2000rpm @ part-throttle) from my original posting.

Mileage update: On this ride today I got 43mpg doing mostly backroads at speeds of 55-60mph, but the air temp didn't rise above 44° and oil temp not higher than 150°. Too damn cold for riding, but it's been raining so much lately we were getting cabin fever. I see a direct relationship between mileage and air temp, as has been the case with every car and MC I've ever owned.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

It doesn't have trouble all the time. A lot of the time it runs great. Every once in a while it stutters or spits just enough to get me off balance.
It's done a real number on my low speed confidence. My appointment is at 10am tomorrow, so I should have some info by tomorrow night.

I'm hoping to get 40mpg and perfect running. If I can even just get the perfect running I'll be happy.

$375 for a tune! Going labor rate here is $100 an hour, they tell me 2.5-3 hours. I'm gonna sit there for all 3 hours if I'm paying full rate.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 PM
ESTOERP
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To correctly set throttle position, the engine has to be running??? Or is enough to have the ignition on???

'Cause 100% thorttle inside the garage wouldmake my neighbours angry....

Old 02-03-2007, 02:18 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ESTOERP

To correctly set throttle position, the engine has to be running??? Or is enough to have the ignition on???

'Cause 100% thorttle inside the garage wouldmake my neighbours angry....
OK to do with key on, engine off at 0/100% throttle,better to do closed throttle with engine running due to a higher battery voltage present with alternator charging,do 100% throttle with key on, engine off as long as the battery is fully charged. Thevoltage difference with engrunning or notat 100% is not as critical as at 0% throttle

Old 02-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm almost certian that the bike has to be running and connected to a laptop to set the throttle position.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Iclick...

Oh man was my map from Fuelmoto off!

I'll scan my dyno sheet on Monday when I get to work.
I was running so rich, I'm suprised it ran at all!
I have to pull the maps off the bike, but wife wants to go to dinner soon.
I'll grab em tonight though. Cylinders were way way different.

Original AF was as low as 11:1 at times...

Original max run: 66hp 73tq
After Tune max run: 79hp 83tq

Smooth as a sumbitch now too. I was VERY skeptical coming into this, but I'm a believer now. Without all the right tools there is no way to do it right from home.

It doesn't have trouble all the time. A lot of the time it runs great. Every once in a while it stutters or spits just enough to get me off balance.
It's done a real number on my low speed confidence. My appointment is at 10am tomorrow, so I should have some info by tomorrow night.

I'm hoping to get 40mpg and perfect running. If I can even just get the perfect running I'll be happy.

$375 for a tune! Going labor rate here is $100 an hour, they tell me 2.5-3 hours. I'm gonna sit there for all 3 hours if I'm paying full rate.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:09 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gundog

I'm almost certian that the bike has to be running and connected to a laptop to set the throttle position.
The engine also needs to be at operating temp, according to the instructions.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Iclick...

Oh man was my map from Fuelmoto off!

I'll scan my dyno sheet on Monday when I get to work.
I was running so rich, I'm suprised it ran at all!
I have to pull the maps off the bike, but wife wants to go to dinner soon.
I'll grab em tonight though. Cylinders were way way different.

Original AF was as low as 11:1 at times...

Original max run: 66hp 73tq
After Tune max run: 79hp 83tq

Smooth as a sumbitch now too. I was VERY skeptical coming into this, but I'm a believer now. Without all the right tools there is no way to do it right from home.
Wow, that was unexpected! I wonder if mine is off, too. There are no tuners in this area with the DynoJet Tuning Link software necessary to do a correct tuning, but there are three within about 80 miles. The problem is I don't know which of these is the best or indeed if any of them are worth a flip! DynoJet couldn't help, but could only provide the location of these tuners. Great dyno stats!

Mine's not running rich based on a plug read a week ago, especially in the cruise area. We did a ride today, about 250 miles total, and my mileage was decent: 46mpg for the first fill-up (~45-55° air temps, never in 6th gear) and 47.5 mpg on the return leg (~60° and occasionally could get into 6th gear). I think I'm happy with this, and wonder if it could get much better. Last Friday we rode in colder temps (44° max) and although I got only 43 mpg on the ride, a new (500 miles on odometer) and stone-stock RK used .3 gal more than I did after 130 miles. Considering a stock bike should do better because of the narrow-band closed-loop dictating 14.7:1 A/F ratio at cruise, I thought I was doing okay. Of course, that bike wasn't as thoroughly broken in, which could've been a factor. Mine had about 2300 at the time, and about 2600 now.

I'd like to see that dyno sheet and your PCIII tables!

Quick Reply: Another PCIII question