Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

98 Fatboy electrical popping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
rheagy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 Fatboy electrical popping noise?

OK guys and gals I'm not new to the forum but this is the first time I have posted here. I have a 98 Fatboy that after starting and running at a high idle I am hearing a electrical popping noise. I have a vibration stethoscope and the noise is strongest at the primary cover. I recently was having problems with the engine just shutting off and then it would start right back up but would miss and backfire once in a while. I found I had a cracked coil and replaced it with a new Accel coil, new spark plugs and new screaming eagle plug wires. I am still experiencing an engine miss once in a while. Early last spring I bought and installed wiring for Gerbing's heated gear and had no problems before summer but now I am blowing fuses on a newly installed harness that is fused properly. When setting at idle I have 13.2 volts and at higher engine RPM's 14.35 volts at the battery, I have used a ohm meter and checked my stator and voltage regulator and they check good. I do ride in all weather conditions. Does anyone have any idea's what the noise might be or why I may be blowing fuses on my heated gear.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where along the whole distance of the primary are you hearing this "electrical popping noise"?

I'm going to guess it's close to the front. Sounds like you need to unplug the stator and clean up both connectors contacts and put some good old dielectric grease on them and slide it back together.

Even though you are getting a proper recharge rate it could still be arcing there, especially at that connection.

Not sure what to make of your comment "you might be be blowing fuses on my heated gear". Either you have a blown fuse and it's not functioning, or not. One thing you can do is to check in the heated gear specs and total up the "amps" or "watts" draw of the gear your using. If it's amps you can make certain the fuse is at least big enough to hold that load, if the wiring can. I'm not certain how much of a draw they are, or how many items you have plugged in. Hopefully the measurement is amps so you can directly relate that to fuse size.

Hope you get it figured out and be sure to let us know how it all turns out.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

on the heated gear; are you blowing fuses with no gear plugged into the harness or with the gear plugged in?

on the electrical "pop"; I agree with JohnnyC on that connection. could be arching to the engine but logic also tells me that if it were, you'd be feeling it in your handlebars, or any other metal you touch with your body. But then again, it could simply be arching inside the connector itself.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM
rheagy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update here, FYI I did already clean the regulator connection and coat it with dielectric grease, and the popping / arcing noise was still happening with the connector unpluged to the regulator. Today I tore it down and found the stator was shorting and arcing (see picture). So I guess its off to buy a new stator.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Fatboy electrical popping noise?-misc-10182012-033.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good job digging into it and identifying the real issue.

It's hard to believe you were able to hear the arcing inside the primary like that. That's a new one for me.

Did it stink? Typically just whiffing the oil and noting the burnt smell gives you the clue to replace the stator. Not to be confused with burnt clutches, the stink from the stator is like a melted down transformer. Clutches have an odor all their own.

Ride On.