Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Air Wing Horn Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Air Wing Horn Cover

Well, I just tried again and failed. I took the horn cover of and put the new cover on. I held it in my hand and pushed the button and got the muffled sound. I put the OEM cover back on and did the same thing, it works great. There was nothing to get in the way, no speed nuts, no mounting bracket, nothing. The old horn just does not agree with the new cover for some reason.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Now go out and get the skull gas cap medallion and attach it to the circular part in the middle of the wings and have yourself a custom skull horn cover

Old 01-29-2007, 10:00 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I actually already attached the skull gas cap medallion to the horn cover. It looks great, which is why I am beating my head against a wall trying to get it to work. I used the old medallion off my gas cap which I replaced with the billet skull gas cap.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I tried the cover again...this is what happened.

I put the new cover on, and I can rotate it around and get the horn to work sometimes, but as soon as I tighten the nut at all (even finger tight, way too loose to ride) the horn gives me the muffled grown. When I put it back on the OEM cover, I can tighten the nut with a ratchet and it still works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Original Junior
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with mine. it's a trial and error type of deal. I rotated the horn around until I got the correct placement where the horn worked. Unfortunatley, I think it is a design flaw of the air wing horn cover. Definately screwy, but I got it to work.
Here's a pic of my matching black wrinkle air cleaner cover. I accidentially deleted the horn cover but you get the idea. They do look good once you get the horn working right. Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6080/7971BDA76F6F417EB6D6F64209D059A4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2007, 02:20 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

The air cleaner cover looks great. I am super frustrated with this thing. I have tried position that I can put the horn in and can't get it to work once I tighten down the nut. I put it up for a while and put the OEM cover back on. I will keep reading, getting ideas, and attack it again later.

Does your horn cover have a medallion mounted on it as well? If so, how is it mounted? I JB Welded a screw on the back of my skull gas cap medallion and drilled a hole through the center of the circle on the horn cover. I then put the screw through the drilled hole and tightened it down with a nut and loctite. Seems to work great. Hopefully I can get the cover to do the same.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

This is my suggestion. Take the horn off the bike and get a battery charger and plug it in. Test fit everything so that it will work on the bench. You might be tightening it to tight for the horn to work. It has to vibrate and you might be interferring with that.. Test the connections and move the ground so that it will work with the cover attached to the horn but not on the bike..

Good luck..

Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a rubber washer on it ????

Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

The rubber washer is my next step.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:53 AM
2002TA
Stage I

I just bought a 2005 wide glide and noticed the horn sounds muffled. I took the chrome cover off and its fine. Adjusted the "Sound Screw" and it fine. As soon as I re-install the crome cover its junk. My brother thinks the crome cover is interrupting the coil in the horn and needs to be plastic. I cant be the only one with this problem.

Quick Reply: Air Wing Horn Cover