Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Security alarm blows regular horn

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
BillHanna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Security alarm blows regular horn

I have never heard of this before -- The dealer had had my 09 Ultra for over a month rebuilding the engine after a lifter broke and destroyed the bottom end. That is not the issue. I picked it up today, and when I turned the bike off, the horn blew twice as the alarm set itself. I have the siren option, so it usually chirps twice when arming itself. It has never blown the horn! Since the service dept. was closed on Sunday, I was going to take it home anyway, but when I got to the end of their driveway, the horn blew steady, and the turn signals flashed alternately. I took it back in and parked it.
I know when I call Tuesday they will have no idea what is going on. The parts manager did say that it did this for them, and they thought it was something I had set.
I assume they have pinched a wire or something. Anyone have any ideas of how this could have happened? It would be cool if the alarm could blow the horn if it was actually activated, but not all the time!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

the horn circuit and the alarm siren circuit are completely seperate so I would tend to agree with you that they either connected something wrong, or pinched a harness somewhere along the line of reassembly.

The horn can be setup to blow with the alarm but only with the use of a relay. If you're interested in doing that I can post instructions for you.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Isa4325
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to know how to hook up my alarm to the bike horn if you can help. I dont have a siren on my 05 XL883 Custom.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Isa4325
Advanced

Hello Todd, are you able to help me with my request, please?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i suggest you do this instead of the horn. but if you want help with the horn I'll help you...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Isa4325
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i suggest you do this instead of the horn. but if you want help with the horn I'll help you...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html
I'd like to do the horn if it is doable?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

oh it's doable but a real pain in the **** to accomplish because the horn is tied to the accessory circuit which means it would have to be rewired to be on all the time. I really don't suggest you do this but instead wire 2 of those RS sirens instead. 2 of those will wake the dead.

**EDIT**

Well now that I think about it a little more. It really doesn't have to be rewired but will require cutting your power feed to your horn and putting a diode in-line so it doesn't feed back into your electrical system. Still a pain in rear...

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-08-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Isa4325
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
oh it's doable but a real pain in the **** to accomplish because the horn is tied to the accessory circuit which means it would have to be rewired to be on all the time. I really don't suggest you do this but instead wire 2 of those RS sirens instead. 2 of those will wake the dead.

**EDIT**

Well now that I think about it a little more. It really doesn't have to be rewired but will require cutting your power feed to your horn and putting a diode in-line so it doesn't feed back into your electrical system. Still a pain in rear...

Yeah, chet might run down hill but electricity runs in all directions. i figured it would need a diode and a relay. This is a 05 Sportster Custom, will the sirens work as well on this unit.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

those suckers are loud and irritating! :-)

Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Isa4325
Advanced

The bike or the sirens? LOL I'm deaf in my right ear, a gift from the free trip to south east asia back in 67, so the bike sound nice to me, LOL.

Quick Reply: Security alarm blows regular horn