Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

09 Street Glide goes into limp mode, throws usual codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Forgiven Rider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide goes into limp mode, throws usual codes

Hi Bros,
I have an 09 Street Glide and when it was very close to 8k the fly by wire throttle started going into limp mode. The usual fix was to reset it by disconnecting the negative and positive cables from the battery and reconnecting. The problem became more prevalent and I got tired of resetting it. It took it to the dealer and they cleaned and replaced a few of the pins in the module and repacked it with dielectric grease. All was good for 200 miles. Last week, cruising at 85 the bike went into limp mode and I barely made it into the median before getting hit by other vehicles. I was able to coast home at 1k rpm in 2nd gear. Now the bike wont come out of limp mode and it is throwing the usual codes for it saying the fly by wire is messed up. (I know that) It's dead in the water. HD says they will most likely have to replace the throttle body as well as the electronic throttle module. I don't have that kind of money and my Assurian warrantee wont cover the ECM or components, but I do have the ability to fix it myself if I knew what else to do. I was told HD is selling titanium pins for the module and that is the fix as they are impervious to corrosion and the slight differences in voltage fluctuations at the throttle body plate. Please help. All input will be greatly appreciated. God Bless.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Had my ECM replaced and was covered under Extended Warranty but if yours won't be the price quoted on the worksheet for the replacement ECM was $393.00 .. Stopped all the Limp problems was having for a few months .. Right after replaced it did a 5,000 Mile+ Road Trip with no problems ..

Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Forgiven Rider
2nd Gear

Thank you Bro. Jay. I'm afraid thats what I'm gonna have to do or find one from a wreck. Learned a hard lesson; when Harley offers you a five year warantee at $500 off the normal proce, check it out before you buy it. Since I knew my salesman personally, I did not think he'd screw me. I thought I was purchasing the HD extended service plan as the receipt indicated I was. At this time the dealership in St. Augustine, Florida is closed down and the Assurian warantee specfically states "ECM and components are not covered. I have to laugh tho, Assurian warantee company is the same company that insured my cell phone and I got screwed on that too because my deductable increased over the years to $195.00 and I can get a new cell phone from AT&T for 0.01 cents. Sometimes you are the bug, and sometimes you are the windshield, lol. I cant even patch it up and sell it privately because I'm afraid the buyer may get hurt on it and I don't wanna live with that. Thanks again

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Forgiven Rider
2nd Gear

Did I mention I'm the bug this week?