Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

flucuating Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) RE: STATOR; it would be cheaper and easier to pull the chain inspection cover off to take a wiff. Having said that, it would be easiest to pull out the manual and that manual will tell you how many amps it's supposed to push at a specific RPM. That's probably the easiest method.

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
fiddledicksr. there are about 350 wires running throughout that electrical system and any one of those or any component those wires connect into could be the cause of the problem. The trick is being able to step back and think about it logically instead of poking/hoping and spending unnecessary $.

1. A good way to determine if the stator is bad or going south is pull the derby cover off and take a good smell inside. If it's the stator it will emit a smell in the primary that you won't soon forget.
2. A voltage regulator is just that. It regulates voltage throughout your electrical system and it's source for voltage is the stator (or as most think about it as a generator). VRs most certainly do have a tendancy to do weird unexplainable things so yes it could work fine 1 minute and the next could be giving you problems.
3. without a doubt an audio amplified could be causing these issues if 1) it has a bad ground or 2) if it simply has a bad power circuit. This is easy to troubleshoot by simply removing power from the amplifier and see what happens. The likelyhood though in my opinion is pretty low.

I would be looking at the easier things first such as what Ranger73 pointed out in the VR to Stator plug. Make sure that is clean, tight, and put some dielectric grease in that connection.
There is a sticky in the Electrical section on how to properly test your charging system and is worth the couple of minutes to read and follow the procedures.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. attached a volt meter. gauge said 12-13 volts the volt meter on battery said 14.3 and steady as i increased rpm. I guess I will change the gauge 1st the easiest thing to do.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

that would explain the voltage guage fluctuating but not the turn signal. Could the turn signal wiring inside the housing be causing that (turn signal) issue ironically at the same time you started seeing the voltage fluctuations?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 AM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely I have had issues with some of the other light sockets in the past, i just by new bulbs and it fixes it. but i took a good look down inside the contact points on the bottom is plastic instead of the old fiber board of the past , The plastic seem to start showing signs of heat affecting them. As far as the Gauge i am going to trace down the wires thru the different connectors for good connections back to the source.

this voltage/gauge issue does have a lot of threads about them, seem to be a common issue on Harley s these days. I have seen everything from bad ground to bad wheel bearings this one got me. but the 1st thing to do is put and volt meter on your battery and verify what the gauge is display is the best thing you can do.

thanks all for your suggestion. I will let you know if that fixed it

Last edited by fiddledicksr; 10-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.