Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for advice

I have an 09 Street Glide with a 107 build. It has Andrews 54 cam, stage III R&R heads, FatCat exhaust and stock injectors and intake.

I’ve been having a issue with this thing ever since the build, which was nearly 2 years ago. At very light throttle, I can feel this frequent hesitation which feels like the bike is missing. It’s most noticeable below 35 mph on level ground or going down a slope. Again this is at very light throttle – where you are just trying to maintain a steady speed.

I've done everything i can to try and eliminate this problem. It's currently tuned in open loop. I even went through the expense of having it retuned in closed loop but the problem still persisted. I switched back to open loop just because it performs better. The bike runs strong otherwise. I don't notice the hesitation if i'm cruising above 40 mph, or even at slow speeds if i'm going up a grade which requires more throttle.

I'm pretty much out of ideas on how to solve this. I swear i would have already traded this bike if i didn't have so much money in it. It really is annoying to ride this thing in slow city traffic. On the highway it's fine.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
I have an 09 Street Glide with a 107 build. It has Andrews 54 cam, stage III R&R heads, FatCat exhaust and stock injectors and intake.

I’ve been having a issue with this thing ever since the build, which was nearly 2 years ago. At very light throttle, I can feel this frequent hesitation which feels like the bike is missing. It’s most noticeable below 35 mph on level ground or going down a slope. Again this is at very light throttle – where you are just trying to maintain a steady speed.

I've done everything i can to try and eliminate this problem. It's currently tuned in open loop. I even went through the expense of having it retuned in closed loop but the problem still persisted. I switched back to open loop just because it performs better. The bike runs strong otherwise. I don't notice the hesitation if i'm cruising above 40 mph, or even at slow speeds if i'm going up a grade which requires more throttle.

I'm pretty much out of ideas on how to solve this. I swear i would have already traded this bike if i didn't have so much money in it. It really is annoying to ride this thing in slow city traffic. On the highway it's fine.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
Did you tune the book? TTS? SERT? What does your tuner say?
I get what I believe is a cam surge in my 103" (running 777s). I am hoping that goes away as I am dumping the TMax and going with TTS.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
Did you tune the book? TTS? SERT? What does your tuner say?
I get what I believe is a cam surge in my 103" (running 777s). I am hoping that goes away as I am dumping the TMax and going with TTS.
It was tuned with TTS. I've been through two different tuners with this thing. The first tuner didn't think anything was wrong. Second tuner said he thinks the pipe is loading up. I really don't think it's anything to do with the pipe. I think it's either a timing issue or may just be a symptom of my head and cam combination.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

A friend of mine has a 2012 CVO SG and is having the same problem after he had the engine modified with head work, 263E cams and 10.5 to 1 pistons. He purchased this work through his selling dealer and they are usually good for making things right.
At any steady throttle opening below 2000 rpms the bike will cut out. If you are running with the cruise on, it'll kick the cruise out occasionally.

I went through every wire in the harness and every place possible looking for an intake leak and nothing has cured it. The dealer simply threw another program in it and said sorry!

I tried several different maps and even went to different extremes to find if it would get better or worse. Nothing helped.

I told him to insist they give him another ecm.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by scj
A friend of mine has a 2012 CVO SG and is having the same problem after he had the engine modified with head work, 263E cams and 10.5 to 1 pistons. He purchased this work through his selling dealer and they are usually good for making things right.
At any steady throttle opening below 2000 rpms the bike will cut out. If you are running with the cruise on, it'll kick the cruise out occasionally.

I went through every wire in the harness and every place possible looking for an intake leak and nothing has cured it. The dealer simply threw another program in it and said sorry!

I tried several different maps and even went to different extremes to find if it would get better or worse. Nothing helped.

I told him to insist they give him another ecm.
Well, my problem isn't that severe. I don't have any problems with my cruise. As a side note, he probably shouldn't be crusing below 2000 rpms anyway. Still, the bike shouldn't cut out, as you say, even at those low rpms...will probably experience some lugging though.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
The dealer simply threw another program in it and said sorry!
If the dealer did all this work, that bike wouldn't leave the shop til they make it right. Their work, their parts, their problem. Take it back and tell them don't call me until you fix it.