Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electical shorts - what wires go to ground

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM
spdrcrjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the service and electrical manuals? If so follow the schematics. If not get them.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:11 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

spdrcrjl, if you are still monitoring this, that ground cable issue was a factory defect and Harley should have had a recall. I had the exact same thing go wrong with the battery ground cable that had another smaller gauge ground cable connected at the trans stud and going up to the frame stud but that cable was never crimped or soldered into the connector with the battery ground cable. It just sat there and finally wiggled itself out after causing intermittent electrical nightmares on my 2009 Low Rider.

My bike had about 38k miles on it when it caused enough trouble to find it. % shops got pid to find the problem but didn't until it finally broke down and wouldn't limp home like previous times because the wire finally stopped sometimes making contact. After paying for a tow a day after getting it back from the 5th shop, I decided to check and clean connections looking for a problem and found that cable after removing battery box to get at everything in that area.

Unfortunately for me, there have been nothing but electrical issues ever since. I've been replacing components and throwing money at it for over 14 months now! I hope yours was fixed and stayed fixed.