Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno Results (bad) w/SERF on 07 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno Results (bad) w/SERF on 07 Sportster

Well, after over two weeks of waiting, my 2007 1200 was the first EFI Sportster run on the new Dyno at Worth's HD. The results are attached.

When I picked up the bike, the dyno tech, in passing, said, "By the way, I had to turn one of the pots up all the way." That's 50% more fuel!! When I originally set up the SERF(using the previously posted method of turning the SERF) none of the pots had been set over anywhere near full fuel enrichment. As one would expect, the bike now runs "fat" and it bogs when I nail the throttle. It runs nowhere as good as when I brought it in.

As for results, 63#torque 62hp. The dealer tried to tell me "those are good numbers for a Sportster..." When I asked, "What have other Sportster's done, he said, "I don't know." I had to provide the techs (all three of them) with the SE catalog info for 07s, and they said, "Those numbers are not at the wheel." I have seen two dyno results for stage 1 EFI Sportsters in the 75-80 ft.lb and 74-79hp. HD's SE catalog shows 76 and 75 for stage 1.

The runs were done in 4 gear (at least they got that right) so at least the dealer is not trying to "run up the numbers" by doing 5th gear runs or turning off the smoothing, but the results are still a disappointment and the bike is running worse than before. Also, it cost $105 in tuning time...all for a worse running bike.

I am guessing some of the problem is 1) newly trained techs 2) no baseline experience with EFI bikes--especially those with SERFs and 3) not being able be there when the work was done.

Any ideas on making the SERF get me the desired results would be helpful!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Default RE: Dyno Results (bad) w/SERF on 07 Sportster

From my uneducated view, the air/fuel ratios look terrible. I've delt with a TFO before and you shouldn't have to max out any of the pots. Maybe something else is amiss.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:23 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have to take it to another knowledgeable/experianced tuner for a retune, good EFIdyno tuning is a very specialized skill that takes years of experianceof constant tuning, then only a few willdevelop into agood professional tuner. In the HD world, there is a severe shortage of such tuners so you may have to travel to find one. As far as dyno numbers, in my '07' Screamin Eagle catalog, there is a note that says the stated HP/TQ numbers are from a DynoJet chassis dyno, or something like that. As far as the operation of the dyno and numbers are concerned, make sure that they are SAE corrected and smoothed, most accurate is #5 smoothing for more accurate and numbers that you can compare to from repeated visits to a given dyno or comparing to others.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Something is wrong - could be the person messing with the fueler didn't have the tube in the muffler far enough and was getting reversion air, had a clogged filter on their test equipment, had a pinched tube on their test equipment or any myriad of things.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:35 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my RK dynoed bone stock and it was dead on with the charts in the "SE Pro Racing Parts" catalog.

There are two different charts for the Sportster Stage 1. One show mufflers the other does not but both are rear wheel hp. (per call out on right side of charts)

SE Pro Racing Parts pg 75
HD Genuine Motor Parts Catalog pg 542

Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 PM
rharrison
Road Master

Cjuetten, thanks for pointing out the "rwh" on the chart...I missed it before.
Geargrinder, the smoothing was set to "4" and the test done in 4th gear. From what I have read/seen, that gives fairly good results. As the test shows, the lines are smooth.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rharrison

Cjuetten, thanks for pointing out the "rwh" on the chart...I missed it before.
Geargrinder, the smoothing was set to "4" and the test done in 4th gear. From what I have read/seen, that gives fairly good results. As the test shows, the lines are smooth.
Agreed, #4 smoothing is good enough.