Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM Re-Flashed now have problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
brosskgm
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Re-Flashed now have problems

2003 Ultra Classic 1450 , Had upper end work 2007 15 over on the piston rings.

Several years ago I helped a friend of a friend get his computer system working on his Dyno and he gave me a free Stage 1 flash as payment.

I was only getting 32 - 36mpg Hwy out of it. Prior to the flash I was getting 42 - 48Mpg. I was going to see about a minor adjustment for the CA gas and that's when I found I needed the cartridge he didn't give me.

So the only choice was the dealer re-flashed my ECM with a stock flash for free, or so I thought. I'm still only getting 33 - 36mpg Hwy and a lot more heat and ping than I was getting.

After adding Sea Foam, and octane booster 104+ that helped, but I still have a little amount of ping after it gets hot. The bike is stock everything. I took off the stage 1 air cleaner and put the stock air cleaner back on prior to the flash. We are in the 106+ weather and going 100+ miles one way a couple times a week it rough with all the added heat.

I called the dealer back and asked them about the flash and was told it was a California flash, even that my bike was original Florida, they had to put the CA flash. Harley would not allow them any other.

They did say on the bonus side it came back as superior for it's age and having over 75,000 miles on it.

I was told to get the Stage 1 download $210 and then have it tuned but that it would be a CA Stage 1 download.

So I have been looking at the tuners, but only have a budget of about $125.00
give or take.

I've noticed the Ridemaxx, Arlen Ness Bigshot that are in this budget but was told it might be over kill for only needing to increase fuel mixture.

I understand RideMaxx is out of business, so maybe that might not be my best choice.

Is there any other simple thing I can do? I tried the head heat sensor next to the air cleaner, but it made it run real rough on start up.

Thanks for your time to read my post and your help.

Bob

Last edited by brosskgm; 08-14-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
What I was gonna suggest .. about the only way can go with such a limited budget ..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
brosskgm
3rd Gear

I know Limited. Only working 1 day, maybe 2 on a rare week right now. Glad it's paid for.

I looked at those but they didn't seem to have for my year 2003. I don't have any of the O2's. and the years they listed only goes back to 2007. I'll look over them again.

I did get to looking at some old notes and the IAT sensor (It's a NTC resistor) and how a simple 500 - 1000 Ohm resistor could change the air temp the ECM reads 10-20 deg cooler or use a NTC resistor that will change according to outside temp and cause the ECM to rich the mix just a bit. Kind of programmable if used with a variable(dial) resistor you can change as you need it. Similar to the older day ping controls for the timing being way advanced in cars. Since we don't get very cold here 20-40deg will not be something I'll have to worry about with this. If it's 20 - 30 deg out the ECM will read 0 or lower, and could cause a very rich startup and possible flooding.

I found a write up in some older electronics mags the Magnum Dyno-Boost did the same thing that used resistors and NTC resistors and a couple DC converters. They actually gave help to the diy'er back then to build their own but too many started selling them as their own work. Magnum now sells them for $169 and doesn't help the DIYer much. Parts available at Radio Shack if you can do the calculations, solder and use a proto board.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you bought a tuner (any tuner), you would not need to also do a stage 1 flash. For your year and budget I would suggest a PC maybe used. If you choose new, you may be able to get with FuelMoto and see if they have a map for your setup. Regardless, if you get a PC you can have it tuned to what is in your bike now without having to purchase any downloads.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM
brosskgm
3rd Gear

EDITED:::::

I figured out what you said.

Last edited by brosskgm; 08-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My bad, no O2 sensors.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 AM
brosskgm
3rd Gear

Does anyone know if the Black/white strip, or green wire is the ECM wire from the IAT Sensor?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 AM
brosskgm
3rd Gear

Would anyone happen to know where someone might be able to find the connectors? Would save having to cut and splice wires.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by brosskgm
Would anyone happen to know where someone might be able to find the connectors? Would save having to cut and splice wires.
Can try these Guys here .. Good Luck they were able to help me when redid some wiring on the FXR ..

http://www.deutschconnector.com/

Quick Reply: ECM Re-Flashed now have problems