Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

LED's and Load Equalizers, I am so...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default LED's and Load Equalizers, I am so...

CONFUSED!!! Do I need one? Why do I need one? If I do need one are there LED issues that would appear that would indicate a need for one? Here is what I have:

1) H-D LED TourPak and Saddlebag Spoiler Lights
2) HogLite LED Brakelight
3) LED Directional Lights, rear
4) LED Tail/Brake Light
5) H-D LED Lighted Saddlebag Latch Kit W/Directional Module
6) H-D Directional/Brake Module
7) Comagination Brake/Flasher Module
8) Factory installed security
9) Upgraded to Smart Siren II with pager

I first installed the TP, Saddlebag and HogLite LED running/brake lights. Everything worked just fine, no problems.

Next I installed the directional/brake module for brake light capability in my rear directionals. Everything worked just fine, no problems.

Next came the Comagination brake/flasher module which I wired just to the TP, Saddlebag and HogLite LED lights, leaving the tail light and directionals alone to operate as stock, with stock bulbs. Everything worked just fine, no problems.

Then I installed an LED bulb in the tail light, LED bulbs in the rear directionals and the Saddlebag LED Lighted Latch Kit with directional operated module. As of this posting I have not been able to operate this last installation under normal operating conditions, but I have been able to test the operation of the lights in my garage.
As before, everything worked just fine, no problems. On top of all this I have the factory installed security system and I installed the Smart Siren II with pager.

So this brings me to my opening questions, beginning with Why do I need a load equalizer? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I would appreciate any and all feed back.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Default RE: LED's and Load Equalizers, I am so...

Breathe Jim, breathe In simple terms, load equalizers are used with LED's because with LED's the power output is less and it ends up not flashing when you turn on your signals, or the brake light doesn't illuminate because the change is not recognized.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: soos

CONFUSED!!! Do I need one? Why do I need one? If I do need one are there LED issues that would appear that would indicate a need for one? Here is what I have:

1) H-D LED TourPak and Saddlebag Spoiler Lights
2) HogLite LED Brakelight
3) LED Directional Lights, rear
4) LED Tail/Brake Light
5) H-D LED Lighted Saddlebag Latch Kit W/Directional Module
6) H-D Directional/Brake Module
7) Comagination Brake/Flasher Module
8) Factory installed security
9) Upgraded to Smart Siren II with pager

I first installed the TP, Saddlebag and HogLite LED running/brake lights. Everything worked just fine, no problems.

Next I installed the directional/brake module for brake light capability in my rear directionals. Everything worked just fine, no problems.

Next came the Comagination brake/flasher module which I wired just to the TP, Saddlebag and HogLite LED lights, leaving the tail light and directionals alone to operate as stock, with stock bulbs. Everything worked just fine, no problems.

Then I installed an LED bulb in the tail light, LED bulbs in the rear directionals and the Saddlebag LED Lighted Latch Kit with directional operated module. As of this posting I have not been able to operate this last installation under normal operating conditions, but I have been able to test the operation of the lights in my garage.
As before, everything worked just fine, no problems. On top of all this I have the factory installed security system and I installed the Smart Siren II with pager.

So this brings me to my opening questions, beginning with Why do I need a load equalizer? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I would appreciate any and all feed back.

Thanks

Flasher circuits are designed around a certain load. Load being the amount of current (amps) that is being drawn by the bulbs.

The incandescent bulbs draw a heck of a lot more amps that the new led bulbs. So what happens is your system might think that your bulbs are burned out.

To correct this you have two choices. Replace the flashing circuit. Hard to do on the new Harleys or put in a load equalizer.

Now what is a load equalizer. Nothing but a plain old resistor. A picture of a common 25 or 50 watt resistor designed to splice into the bulb circuit is shown below.

You could spend up to $60 for a "module" to correct the problem or as little as $9 for a resistor with wires and crimps.

You will need one for each turn circuit, or a combination one, and one for the brake light circuit if it is misbehaving. A lot of people make them and everyone thinks theirs is special.

J&P has 3 pages of them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6454/0CD384B4E8814007AFD90084B22F33C5.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
rdurantb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same type of boat and so I also have questions if someone is reading this. I don't like the idea of adding resistance as it seems it will increase the current load at the same time I'm adding lights. I believe Harley or others make LED bulbs to replace the stock ones. Wouldn't it work better to just replace all bulbs with LEDs, and also wouldn't it allow further mods, like converting the tail light and rear turn signals to something like a Kuryakyn type, with multi colored lights and LED controls but no resistors?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rewisiter would be in OHMS not WATTS. Watts is power, current times voltage. Anyway I had the same question. A 25-50 OHM resistor would do the trick??? I put LED's in my 01 Sporty and they didn't light. This load eqaulizer thing is a big mystery to me.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

rayfinseats
You are correct, however, resistors are also rated in wattage, or current carrying capability. If the resister is not capable of carrying the load of the circuit where it is used, then it will burn open.
If you look at the picture that Lee posted, ypou will notice that the resister pictured has a metal case. This serves as a heat sink to help dissapate the heat generated by this higher wattage resistor.
....just for what it's worth.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the resistors......

They generate heat as a by product of creating resistance. I much perfer the smart equilizer from biketronics. :2cents:

Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

+1 ...edzakery!