Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tach, and guages drop out when I turn on my turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach, and guages drop out when I turn on my turn signals

Ok guys I am brand new to this site and new to Harleys. Just traded off a Softail for an older Electra FLHTC..... 1986 to be exact. Needless to say it came with a few issues the fella didn't totally disclose but thats the risk you take!

So this is what is going on. When the ignition switch is in just ignition the turn signals work just fine but the minute that I put a load on by turning on the spots or the headlight it gets all crazy. Sometimes the instrument gauges turn off all together sometimes the turn signals quit working and sometimes everything works just fine. I took the front fairing off and looked at the wiring and using the wiggle test I cannot get it to change on any of it. When the bike is not running it does the same thing. However the rear lights do not seem to be affected with the exception of the turn signals. The break light and all the rest of the rear lights are working just fine and do not cut out. I have spent several hours on this and cannot figure it out. The spots seem to flicker as well when all this is happening. I NEED SOME HELP! I am at my end with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Sounds like a ground issue. It cant handle the load with a bad ground. Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced

Would that also affect the rear lights or are there separate grounds for the front and rear? Electrical is not my specialty. Forgot to mention that sometimes the signals will blink fast or normal and other times they blink sloooooow and sometimes they delay turning on? I will check all the grounds that I can find and let you know if thats it. One other thing the voltage gauge drops with every blink of the signal when they work. It goes almost down to zero just when the blinkers are on.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shootemdownace
Would that also affect the rear lights or are there separate grounds for the front and rear? Electrical is not my specialty. Forgot to mention that sometimes the signals will blink fast or normal and other times they blink sloooooow and sometimes they delay turning on? I will check all the grounds that I can find and let you know if thats it. One other thing the voltage gauge drops with every blink of the signal when they work. It goes almost down to zero just when the blinkers are on.
All sounds like a ground issue. Tighten the battery connection then look fir a frame mounted cluster of ground wires. You will get more coverage on this question in the Evo section or general chat. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced

Thanks a bunch. I will check into that in the morning. Thanks again. I will post it in the Evo section. Thanks for the welcome as well.