Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning question for 09 fatbob

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM
fatbobblack
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tuning question for 09 fatbob

Recently purchased a 09 Fat Bob last week. The bike had several extra's on it including vance & hines big radius 2 into 1 exhaust and screaming eagle intake. The bike runs good and doesn't back fire or anything when you declerate. I dunno if this is true or not but I have read somewhere on here that the V & H exhaust can come with 2 different style baffles. The exhaust on my bike is extremely quiet. It has a very good deep tone but even if you are in a car right someone while riding it you can barely hear it and I wanted to make it quit a bit louder. I took the exhaust apart and looked how the baffle came out but I've read both ways that it's fine go ahead and do it or also read the bike will run like crap and I can't do it without a tuner. Im not wanting to rattle windows or wake people up but would love for the bike to make a little more noise like I think one should. Thanks in advance

Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

So take out the baffle and see how it runs and sounds. If it runs fine, leave it alone. If it runs like crap put in a different baffle. If it's as quiet as you say, you most likely didn't get it with the stock baffle. I don't know enough about that exhaust to recommend another type of baffle, but look into Big City Thunder baffles.
Does it have a tuner?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
fatbobblack
Stage III

As far as I know it doesn't have a tuner or I don't think it has been tuned by a dealer or anything. I am going to pull the baffle out and take it on a test run and see if it runs ok. I mess with diesel pick-ups alot and would not own one with having a tuner on it. What are the advantages of having one on a bike? I see you own a thunder max and alot of guys on here do. I am a complete novice harley rider just recieved my permit yesterday so I am not looking to make more power or anything yet.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

These bikes are set up to run lean from the factory in order to meet EPA standards. When you add a high flow intake and pipes it will run even leaner. And hotter. The ECM will compensate for this to an extent, as will the dealer download, but IMO it will still be too lean. A tuner will add fuel to certain areas so that the motor will run richer. It will also run cooler. Getting some more response and power is the result. Never heard anyone complain about that, lol.
You can also try a device called an XIED. It's a simple resistor that tricks the ECM into adding fuel at certain areas. Not expensive and just might be a good place to start. You can look into those here: http://www.nightrider.com/
If you do a search here on tuners you will find enough info to keep you busy for a while.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
fatbobblack
Stage III

Well pulled the baffle out took it on a test run. Seems to run good to me. Only time it back fires is if you really really get on it or rev it up in N... and even at that it may pop once. It does cackle alot now tho.