Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Lemme ask this a dif way.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
CrzyFukr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemme ask this a dif way.

Hi,

I started a thread earlier and asked about backing up my current cfg before I start tinkering around with the SEPro Software. After 42 views and 7hrs, not one response soooooo... Maybe I'll try this a dif way.

A few months ago I bought an 09 FXDF, which is not quite as easy to tune as my 86 sporty to say the least. It runs HOTASHELL, which I'm sure everyone already knows. I NEED to get it cooler. I get heat marks on my legs every time I take the thing out. I have the VCI and the SEPro software and the cables and etc.. I want to take a crack at it, but I also have several rides planned and don't want to get in a situation where I was better off waiting til the fall/winter to do this. (and pissed off at the thing)

So I guess the question is... (since nobody seems to know a way I can backup my shet)

If I load the base setup for the stage one setup will the bike run cooler? Will it run at least as good as it's already running now? Or am I opening up a can of worms? Am I going to be mad I started this when Im 600 miles from home this saturday? Or will I screw myself out of even being able to go? etc?

The bike has the SE A/C and 2" slash cut mufflers. I have a reciept from the previous owner that says "installed stage one" at the dealer, but no mention of 25deg injectors, just mufflers and A/C.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CrzyFukr
A few months ago I bought an 09 FXDF
Awsome Motorcycle. I have an 08.

You cannot backup the factory map. The TTS can do this, but I think it's more of a feel good thing. I just can't see any real reason to ever have to put the factory map back on.

If I load the base setup for the stage one setup will the bike run cooler?
Ok, the AFR map is very much on the lean side. some areas are open loop other areas of the map are closed loop. the closed loop areas are controlled by the O2 sensors to maintain an AFR of 14.6 which is on the lean side. Open Loop values are whatever you plug in other than 14.6. These are produced based on calculations involving input from sensors (other than the O2 sensors) and the values in the VE tables.

IOT get the bike to run cooler you need to richen up the AFR table. The first step is to load the appropriate map and begin Smart Tuning. This of itself will not make the bike run cooler, but it will correct your VE tables so that any calculations for open loop AFR values will be based on more accurate information. Once the SmartTuning process is complete you can consider tweaking the AFR map to richer values.

Will it run at least as good as it's already running now?
I would say there is a 99% probability it would run a bit better.

Am I going to be mad I started this when Im 600 miles from home this saturday?
I don't know you well enough to know what makes you mad.

Or will I screw myself out of even being able to go? etc?
Probably not. Load the appropriate map, Smart Tune till the changes are 5% or less. Try co cover as many load, rpm, throttle position combinataions as possible.

The bike has the SE A/C and 2" slash cut mufflers. I have a reciept from the previous owner that says "installed stage one" at the dealer, but no mention of 25deg injectors, just mufflers and A/C.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks!
Ok.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 07-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 AM
CrzyFukr
6th Gear

Thanks,

I'll try it, but maybe Ill wait til after the weekend just in case I wake up saturday and take that trip.

Im pretty good at tunin carbs, and this really isnt any different. In the end what your doing is the same thing. Not like the ol days when I could guess at a jet and tweak the screws and Im 90% there in 5 minutes. I have a good bit of experience with this kind of stuff at my job, very similar stuff to this.

The software reports the bike as race tuned "yes", so that doesn't sound like a factory map to me. Or could it still be? It might have the SEPro base map already loaded. Any idea what map the dealer would load after "installed stage one" in their shop?

Thats really the problem is that I dont know whats been done as far as tuning (probably not that much but..) It sure would be a bit more comforting if I could save the current cfg.. Im also not 100% sure what's the appropriate base map. Im guessin its that 1st one that says "High Flow A/C Race Exhaust and 25deg Injectors". Except Im not sure I have 25deg injectors and Im also not sure Id call these 2" slash cut mufflers "Race Exhaust" HaHa So thats the other reason I was hessitant.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by CrzyFukr; 07-12-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
CrzyFukr
6th Gear

so I bought the SEPro software because my bike came with a SE VCI and it cost me less then $100 total for the cd and cables etc, but after some reading I really wished I had TTS. In comparison SEPro is kinda ghetto. :/ ...and to answer some of my earlier questions (myself) LoL The bike should run exactly the same since it's probably running in closed loop most of the time. Uploading the base map shouldn't change crapola. Since the dealer prolly just uploaded pretty much the same thing when they did the "installed stage 1".

If anyone wants to chime in and correct me if Im wrong please do.

I didnt even know TTS existed. Wish I had known.

jluvs2ride, thanks for your input earlier but as Im learning I read something that is dif from what you posted so Im just sharing... the closed loop sections don't maintain an AFR of 14.6. The 14.6 setting simply turns on closed loop. The actual AFR is not necessarily 14.6. just throw'n that out there.

"When the AFR cell is set to 14.6 (remember, this value means "enter closed loop"), the actual AFR is now determined by the "O2 bias" table voltage setting. This table allows trimming the closed-loop AFR over a range of 14.0 to 15.0"

Last edited by CrzyFukr; 07-12-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

so I bought the SEPro software because my bike came with a SE VCI and it cost me less then $100 total for the cd and cables etc, but after some reading I really wished I had TTS. In comparison SEPro is kinda ghetto.
Not sure what you mean by "kinda ghetto". I've used it and lots of others find it to be a good tool. The TTS is good as well. You just have to lug around a PC whenever you want to record data with it. The SEPST can record 45 minutes to an hour on the VCI.

and to answer some of my earlier questions (myself) LoL The bike should run exactly the same since it's probably running in closed loop most of the time. Uploading the base map shouldn't change crapola. Since the dealer prolly just uploaded pretty much the same thing when they did the "installed stage 1".

If anyone wants to chime in and correct me if Im wrong please do.

I didnt even know TTS existed. Wish I had known.

jluvs2ride, thanks for your input earlier but as Im learning I read something that is dif from what you posted so Im just sharing... the closed loop sections don't maintain an AFR of 14.6. The 14.6 setting simply turns on closed loop. The actual AFR is not necessarily 14.6. just throw'n that out there.

"When the AFR cell is set to 14.6 (remember, this value means "enter closed loop"), the actual AFR is now determined by the "O2 bias" table voltage setting. This table allows trimming the closed-loop AFR over a range of 14.0 to 15.0"
My explaination was over simplified for the sake of brevity and simplicity. I didn't expect it to be nit picked. 14.6 is the stoichoimetric value of the average fuel blend. The O2 sensors are looking for a specific voltage. This voltage is adjustable in the CLB table for various fuel blends since the AFR that acheives the stoichoimetric value will vary based upon blends.

Some folks tweak the CLB to increase fuel and run richer but you really don't get that much even pushing them to their limits and I've heard that this can shorten the life of the O2 sensors.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 AM
CrzyFukr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
Not sure what you mean by "kinda ghetto". I've used it and lots of others find it to be a good tool. The TTS is good as well. You just have to lug around a PC whenever you want to record data with it. The SEPST can record 45 minutes to an hour on the VCI.

My explaination was over simplified for the sake of brevity and simplicity. I didn't expect it to be nit picked. 14.6 is the stoichoimetric value of the average fuel blend. The O2 sensors are looking for a specific voltage. This voltage is adjustable in the CLB table for various fuel blends since the AFR that acheives the stoichoimetric value will vary based upon blends.

Some folks tweak the CLB to increase fuel and run richer but you really don't get that much even pushing them to their limits and I've heard that this can shorten the life of the O2 sensors.
sorry, I didn't mean to "nit pick". Im just trying to learn. Im a really detail oriented person when it comes to those kinds of things. I have a very technical/mechanical background, and sometimes although those details don't seem to matter they actually can. ...and I always try to understand the "details" when Im doing something like this. Its what makes the difference between a good running bike and someone going WoW this things runs awesome! (which is the way my bike will run when Im done LoL) I appreciate your input (sorry for the shty ppl skills)

Anyways, I say SEPro is ghetto because it looks like something my kid would use. It comes with BIG warnings about "Race Use Only" and has a BIG button for "SmartTune". Its BRIGHT orange. It seems like they expect the guy who bought it can't tune a kazoo LoL. ...and the manual kinda sucks (I guess you're supposed to buy the DVD?). TTS has useful functions like backing up your current cfg, and resetting back to factory specs, and looks more like something I would use in my job. (from what I can see of it) ..and it comes with a much better manual. The fact that I'm reading the TTS manual to learn how to tune my bike with the SEPro software should say a lot LMAO.

I don't really much care about the recording function (which I think is only 15 minutes not 45, but I could be wrong about that) At 1st I was planning on using it, but after some of the reading I've been doing, Im sure I'll tuck the laptop in the saddle bag instead.

I can see how there's little to be gained by tweaking the sensors since the range is very limited, and outside the ideal target range anyways. Plus if you're pushing the voltages on the sensors I can see how that would shorten their lives.... makes sense.

I'll probably go ahead and start on this thing next week.

Thanks again

I feel better about doing it now. Reading the TTS manual (which I wouldnt have even known about until you commented and said "TTS can do a backup"), looking over the setup in the file that SEPro wants me to upload, and your comments combined... it sounds like it's pretty safe to get started.

Last edited by CrzyFukr; 07-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

The TTS Manual is very good. I've learned a lot reading it. It's good that you are detail oriented.

The more you use the software the more you will understand the need for the recording function. For example, it's necessary for Smart tuning. It would be the same with the TTS. I know the catalogue says 15 minutes, but I have recorded an hour on mine and having spoken with the people that make the system for HD I was told that the recording time is more like 45 minutes to an hour. For some bizzarre reason The Motor Company refuses to change the documentation.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
CrzyFukr
6th Gear

Well I didnt mean to say I don't care about data recording. I was just saying that I think I'll probably just use the laptop. I have nice big saddle bags, and a tiny laptop. If it records more then 15 minutes it might be worth a try with the VCI though. I just figured if all it recorded was 15 minutes why bother, Ill just use the laptop and take it out for an hr.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Well I didnt mean to say I don't care about data recording. I was just saying that I think I'll probably just use the laptop. I have nice big saddle bags, and a tiny laptop. If it records more then 15 minutes it might be worth a try with the VCI though. I just figured if all it recorded was 15 minutes why bother, Ill just use the laptop and take it out for an hr.
Try recording to the VCI, a lot less trouble. I'm pretty sure you can get at least an hour.

So, how are things on earth? Been in Afghanistan since November 2011. Going home in September.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 AM
CrzyFukr
6th Gear

Same ol same ol. Earth is still here, Earthlings are still morons, LMAO

My advice to you... "Duck and Cover" (come home safe)

How's things in the sandbox?

Quick Reply: Lemme ask this a dif way.