Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Battery wont stay charged overnight

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Bmacnoobrider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery wont stay charged overnight

Well i have spent the last two days searching to find a thread for this problem but haven't found one so ill start it here.

I have an 07 1200C i bought it used in April and have put about 3k on it since then and loving it. Then i parked it over night and when i tried to ride to work no juice. I attempted to recharge the battery with no luck so i replaced it. after the initial charge all was fine i rode for about 3 hours no problem parked it and the next morning it was dead again.

I load tested the battery at around 12.4 at idle and 13.7 at higher rpm so i don't think its a charging problem. i did notice after charging the battery to full with a trickle charger that i can here a electric motor cycling type noise in the area behind the air cleaner.

Any help or ideas would be great. the only why i can keep the battery charged over night is by disconnecting the inline fuse but i don't think that is a good long term solution.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Bmacnoobrider
2nd Gear
Default update

So I ran the DTC check and cleared all the codes out last night there where two so to make sure I had the most current ones I cleared them all. This morning after riding the bike into work I ran the DTC check again and it showed one code under the TSM/TSSM section of B1141. I looked that code up in the forum and it is a Ignition Switch Low/Open.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor sound you hear behind the air cleaner is the Idle Air Control motor resetting itself after the dead battery condition. It's normal but what's draining the battery. Try disconnecting the battery and see if you get a spark when you do or check with an amp gauge or a digital volt meter to see if there's a problem.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Bmacnoobrider
2nd Gear

So here is an update with this. I was talking to a mechanic buddy who works on imports and we started troubleshooting the electrical and when i unplug the system relay the sound stops cycling so I think the system relay is not closing. So I have unplugged that relay and the bike has been sitting for a day now I should be home from work on Monday and will check it again to see if the battery is dead or not. If not its back to research.