Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Headlight Issue, help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 PM
HarleyGirl5555
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Issue, help needed...

Electrical Help - Battery or Headlight?
Here's what we got...2005 FLSTFI Softail Fatboy, Fuel Injected, no security system, no extra electrical accessories, 38,000 miles and the original battery. Yes, I said original battery. I intend to change it this weekend.
Here's what is happened when I left work yesterday. Turn on ignition, instruments light up, Brights indicator comes on dimly / flickers, headlight doesn't come on. Turn on Run switch, fuel pump runs. Hit starter, bike fires off with no issues, no slow start, no delays, no lugging. Headlight still not on, and Bright indicator is fully lit. Turn on brights, still no headlight. Turn off brights, still no headlight, and indicator still lit.
Well, I'm 20 miles from home and it looks like it could rain on me if I don't get going. So I start driving with no headlight...I know, that is illegal, but I wasn't leaving my bike at work. About half way into the ride home, indicator light goes out and headlight comes on. I hit the bright switch on and off a few times, and there are no issues...all works fine. Come home, park the bike, scratch my head, go help husband finish mowing / trimming the lawn, eat supper. Then I go back to garage, turn on bike, headlight comes on, but bright indicator is on dimly. Start bike, let it run a few seconds and indicator goes out.
I'm thinking old battery, so I throw it on trickle charger for an hour and go about my business. Come back, unplug, turn on ignition. Instrument lights light up, bright indicator is dim and flickering, headlight lit. Start bike and all is well, no issues...
FYI, light on trickle charger was red (charging) when I first plugged in, turned green (storage) within an hour of being plugged in.
Also, read back through threads, found DTC and Code thread.....no codes....all is well.
Any thoughts (related to this topic) would be appreciated...Thanks in advance..

Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,090 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Check the socket in the bucket. Could be a bad ground in the socket causing a back feed. That could give you a dim hi beam indicator.
It's that or the switch or the molex connector for the head light. Start simple, check bucket first.

Last edited by RANGER73; 06-26-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
lee714
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking You may need new connectors...

Loose connections, or excessive amp draw (Aftermarket bulbs) will do that. If you reuse the connectors, make sure they're tight on the spade. If you need to buy new ones, these guys sell connectors individually: www.terminalsandconnectors.com.