Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:25 PM
mechnnrs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after warm up

recently I had the heads off for machining (lost 40 psi in front cylinder from burnt exaust valve). but even before this, i was coming back from a ride and the bike started to sputter when i throttled up causing me to have to baby it to keep it running. I can only relate this to the feel of a two stroke that has a plug fowled (popping and loss of power). I have a 1998 classic heritage softail. the maintenance log on this bike shows someone put a rebuilt carb, had the rocker box has been off ,(there was an after market gasket on it). the bike has 35,000 miles on it i was told that it was 100,000 mile motor. I dont know what that means as far as top end or lower end. Like i said i used to race dirt bikes in my day (i'm 57) so things have changed a lot since then. I just need direction on this or a lot of money and i can take it to a mechanic.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It is difficult trying to analyse problems over the internet, much easier with the bike right here! You could have any one of several problems. A dirty carb or partly blocked idle jet, or float level wrong. Alternatively your VOES hose may be leaking.

However start bt checking your electrics. Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight at both ends, also your ground points are also clean, rust-free and tight. Vheck electrical connections on the coils are also clean and tight.

You may find that basic housekeeping along those lines will uncover something that is not quite right.