Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sportster stator vs regulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Tyler.xvx
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster stator vs regulator

Good evening everyone. I have been reading through the forums for a while now they've always been so helpful and this time I finally decided to post to help figure out my problem.

A little back story, I have an 03 Sportster Hugger 1200cc. It has less than 10,000 miles on it and runs great. A few weeks back the bike was having problems that resulted in a new stator. The old stator had a fried wire in it.

I have been riding it to and from work for a few days now, 2-3 times a week tops 30 miles each way. Got ready to leave for work the other morning and it wouldn't start, with that familiar click sound and then nothing. I spent the afternoon trying to isolate the issue this time. After jumping the bike off the battery voltage did not increase much, went from 11 something to 11.5, so yes dead battery. Since jumping it off didn't seem to cure the problem it leads me to believe it is on the charging side of the system.

Now, the battery has been replaced less than a year ago, and with a new stator in it I lead towards a bad regulator. I tried pulling apart the smooth two prong clip from the regulator to read voltage, but got nothing. I was trying to read AC voltage, maybe I was wrong there?

So any ideas? Will be checking the static voltage of the battery tomorrow to see if it held the little bit of charge I put on it this afternoon to help rule out battery being the issue.

Thanks everyone, hope you have some good news.