Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel pouring from Air filter !

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel pouring from Air filter !

Being a "carb" guy - this is puzzling.

'08 Fat Boy, owned since July '07. FINALLY installed fuel management module and all is well. In fact, REALLY well.

Decided to re-route wiring for the fuel management system and that's when I go the problem. Yes, I checked and re-checked the wiring and connectors and had the tank off three more times and cannot find the problem. The only thing I haven't done is to remove the fuel management module and put it back "factory". I actually DO have a second (complete) circuit card assembly for the fuel mod and I installed it to try and rule out the mod as being the problem. Problem still there.

I hear the "whine" and the little engine icon lights for a couple seconds when the ignition is first turned on and then it goes away. Normal. But then I hear the fuel pump keep running and running and running and then fuel starts flowing out of the air filter.

Didn't notice this right away, as I was standing on the other side of the bike. I hit the starter button and the engine turned about 1/4 turn. Hmmmmmm Tried it again and same thing. That's when I saw the fuel running out. Hydraulic lock, I suppose.

Bummer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin

Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM
kballowe
Advanced

So I pulled the plugs and emptied the rear cylinder of fuel. Checked the connections three more times and came up blank.

Removed the fuel management module and put the bike back into the "factory" configuration and everything now works well.

Called tech support and they provided some suggestions as how to wring out the harness on the fuel module.

If I read the service manual correctly - a direct ground in the fuel injection system will cause the fuel pump to run on and on and will cause the fuel overflow that I experienced.

OK, back to work now.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
springer3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the fix is not to ground fuel mod?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
kballowe
Advanced

It's amazing how ya forget to write the follow-up, once the fix is discovered.

The culprit was a bad harness. Took a while to find this sort of "intermittent" short.

They sent a new harness and..... problem solved.

I DID get a much better volt-ohm meter. The one that I had wasn't all that good.
My son lent one to me and I (later) went out and bought one just like it.