Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Front signal conversion prob

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
slugo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front signal conversion prob

Changing my front dual filament lights with a single filament one on my 04 N/T. Old light have 3 wires (ground-turn-signal) and the new light has just 1 wire to power just the signal, housing grounds itself to the fork. I open the stock plug under the gas tank and do some checking to make sure new light work ok, and when i try the new signal light (leaving the ground-power wires open) it flashes normal about 4 times then both front and rear start flashing fast, real fast.Whats the problem with this? Im not really electricly inclined, so go easy on me .

Old 01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front signal conversion prob

When it flashes fast like that it is the TSM/TSSM telling you that it is detecting a problem in the circuit (which is you changing the wiring around). You also most likely set some codes. If so, the signals will flash 4 times when you power the bike up - just like you turned on the flashers.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
slugo
Advanced

The bike isnt running, im just turning the ignition switch on, nothing starts flashing on its own, when i turn on the signal light ( left or right ) they will flash normally then fast, All four are not lighting up.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Sidehack
Cruiser

You need a device like the Biketronics Frontrunner, it will simulate the lost load that is triggering the code and allow the single filament to act as both running lights and turn signal..

http://www.biketronics.com/item.html?PRID=1112054

Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
slugo
Advanced

that wont overload the single filament?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:31 PM
slugo
Advanced

Great, thanks!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
slugo
Advanced

Well i did as you suggested, ordered the frontrunner, waited a week for it to get here, ran downstairs and hooked that suker up. I must say installing it was a breeze and the signal lights..............................
.......................they blink just as fast as before, didnt do a frigging thing. $$ down the crapper i guess. What do i have to do to get these working right???????????????

Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: slugo

Well i did as you suggested, ordered the frontrunner, waited a week for it to get here, ran downstairs and hooked that suker up. I must say installing it was a breeze and the signal lights..............................
.......................they blink just as fast as before, didnt do a frigging thing. $$ down the crapper i guess. What do i have to do to get these working right???????????????
Have you tried momentarily disconnecting your battery? That is the advice Biketronics gave me when I hooked up their tailbones converter. I had switched out my stock rear signals with LED ones. I thought their converter, which purpose was to have the signals also work as brake and running lights, would also act as a load equalizer. I was mistaken, so I called them and they said that if I momentarily disconnect the battery, than when it was hooked back up to activate my right turn signal for a couple of seconds, than my left one. They saidthere was a good chance my electronic module would adjust for the new lights. I did this and everything worked fine.
Tom