Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

05 fatboy with codes p0113,p0118

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
esrmotorsports
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 fatboy with codes p0113,p0118

Hello all, I have a 05 fatboy here that started running rough all of a sudden. cleared the codes and let it run and the two codes mentioned came back. as current and not historic. p0113 is intake air temp sensor and p0118 is engine temp sensor. it does have vance and hines aftermarket pipes and has not been remapped. manufacturer claimed it did not need to be reprogrammed for the exaust? owner said the bike had been running fine with the current set- up for quite sometime. he did say, very occasionally when asking for power up a big hill he would see the engine light come on for a moment

**MY question is since im new to the fuel injected harleys, do i need to change both sensors or is only one bad and causing the other to operate inproperly?**

I have a screaming eagle tuner comming to use with my twin scan II incase i do need to reprogram for the pipes to prevent future problems. Im sure I will see the need for it with the newer bikes.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM
esrmotorsports
Stage II
Default fatboy EFI running rough with dtc codes

ok update, I have installed new IAT sensor and ET sensor and still getting the p0113, and p0118 along with now a tps code I tried clearing them with my twin scan tool and still getting the codes and the bike runs just as bad as before. I didnt pull the tank yet, but have checked grounds and connections in the battery box area. all wiring seems to be in order anyone have any ideas? dealer seems to think its a wire issue. gonna pull the tank to inspect wires under there

Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Before doing anything.... wait on the tuner. I'll bet if you make a run with your TS you will see a ton of lean cells as you are running too lean. This would reflect the code issues as well.

Case in point... my 05 SE Fatboy ran like a champ.. installed Rinehart short staggered exhaust and it wouldn't fall out of a tree. Tuned with the SERT and the TS. No more issues.

Be patient and wait on the tuner. While you are waiting... order a set of weldment 02 sensor bungs for your pipes and build the ECM wiring harness. You will find it so much easier than stuffing a sensor wand up the butt for sampling. Any 05 and up ECM can be converted for use with the 02 sensors.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by esrmotorsports
ok update, I have installed new IAT sensor and ET sensor and still getting the p0113, and p0118 along with now a tps code I tried clearing them with my twin scan tool and still getting the codes and the bike runs just as bad as before. I didnt pull the tank yet, but have checked grounds and connections in the battery box area. all wiring seems to be in order anyone have any ideas? dealer seems to think its a wire issue. gonna pull the tank to inspect wires under there
I would say a wiring issue as well with possibly a break in the Black/white wire which provides power to all the 3 circuits you are talking about.

A tuning device cannot and will not fix the underlying problem which sounds to be electrical.

The engine ligt coming on going up hill that the original owner describes is probable spark plug related due to the connectors not being on tight or using the wrong plug.

HD delphi system is a little fussy on the plugs sometimes.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Got a nickle bet on it Scotty....

You got wiring covered and I got the tune mucking up it up.

Shipping that nickle will be postage hell.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Well the clues are there when he replaced the IAT & ET and now has a new code for the TPS

Common wire to all 3 - Black with a white stripe................Pin 26 from the ECM

Also powers the MAP signal

Paypal for the nickle will do just fine

Last edited by scotty3; 04-25-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
hooksetz
Stage III

I'm curious to know what it is, cause my 05 Fat Boy just started doing the same thing. And I aint made no pipe changes, first it would sputter and puke from both ends only when down shifting, so I took it to a local shop. $550.00 dollars later I got a new rear tire, and a 20,000 mile service, and the reassurance that it was fixed. Well I gotta get a ride to work tomorrow because it sputters, spits , and jumps from go. And the engine light comes on every time.