Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sportster engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
woolyman2
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportster engine cuts out

I have 2 1988 sportsters (883 and 1200)and both cut out while I'm riding. They start fine, idle well, and run like raped apes. Problem is that they both cut out and won't compression start, but come back to life as soon as I hit the starter button. It could be a mile or 50 miles, but they just cut out. I had tune ups and the dealer said it was coils, but the problem comes back. I can't figure out a pattern because it doesn't happen at any particular time or during any particular maneuver (local and highway). They also have fresh batteries. Any ideas?

Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM
Bigkev Lupton
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I have a 2018 Harley Roadster and I had the stage 1 kit put on back in April. Over the past few week the bike has started getting a bit sluggish on set off when engine is warm and sometimes cuts out when idling at traffic lights.

Any idea what this could be? This is my first Harley and had it from new from the show room.

Many thanks, Kev.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:10 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Often overlooked is the ground cable from the battery to the frame. They tend to loosen up and make the bike's electrics do erratic things.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:24 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

mr. nevil makes a fine suggestion on connections
grounds are important and hard to snake out, but if i am reading what your are saying, it will not run till you load the system with electric start, so power from the battery meets power to the system at the solenoid stud and this maybe the issue.
but as mr. nevil mentioned, connections are a first and cheapest fix first
hope you get-r snaked out
i hate it when i cannot ride

Old 07-04-2019, 12:05 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

check the ignition pick plates, under the cover in the cam cam cover. kinda like a distributor pick up. they are expoxy potted, they get old and hot and when the goo leaks out it a sign that they need to be replaced. if it looses spark, then comes back after the bike cools off a bit, this could be your thing.
m

if compression start means anything like push start, or bump start,,,,that is a whole different issue and you shouldn't be doing that anyhow. if it starts with the button fine, leave it at that.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:39 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

glad you straightened out the compression start, if he said push start, would have clicked.
never had to push start the evo but the ironhead many times and it takes two. i have done it by myself but never on a first attempt as it take a lot to move 400 pounds fast enough to jump on and drop in gear.
it is strange that both are doing it so i must be something common to both. install some inline spark testers so you can get a visual if the spark is dropping out. another issue could be the vac petcock so if it stalls and you have spark, check that.
mr marco makes a fine point on that era ignition.
do you have the fsm?? a must for working on the machine.