Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Any electronic wizards out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 PM
rotorwing70
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any electronic wizards out there?

I have been tinkering around with a tach install on my 05 1200C for several days and need some input from someone with an electronics background. The tach I have is a pre-serial bus tach from a 03 Sportster. This tach requires an analog square wave signal from thecoil. These tachs were designed to be used with a dual fire ignition system like the earlier Sportsters (the pink wire setup) so when you connect them to one side a newer single fire ignition coil they read half the actual rpms. There are some "adapters" available butbeing the tight-wadI am I was thinking of a cheap dyi fix. My first thought was to simply install two leads with diodes, one each on the two negativewires leading to the two coil primarys thus combining the two signals and doubling the signal pulses to the tach. Seemed to simple so I searched the net for a couple of days and finally found a German ignition manufacturer that had an adaptor circuit diagram on their website. Their adaptor consisted of two leads with a 50V1A diodeeach. The leads wereconnected at one end to form the tach lead while the twoleads are connected one each to the coil leads. The oddthing to me is they jumped a100KOhm resistor around each diode.The diodes would effectively block any feedback from one coil lead to the other but when you jump the resistors around the diodes itopens the circuit. What am I missing? What is the reason for the resistors? Here is a link.
http://www.amm.haan.de/Immognition/a...htm#revadapter

Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 AM
frisco42
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any electronic wizards out there?

The resistors are 100Kohm, thats 100,000 ohms. The diodes as connected will only pull down on the tach input, however with the resistors, during the time that neither coil is on, the resistors will pull the tach input up to the 12 volts. Without them you would not get the high side of the square wave you need. A single resistor from the tach side of the diodes to the +12 volt side of either coil would also work, but would require another wire.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Any electronic wizards out there?

ORIGINAL: rotorwing70

I have been tinkering around with a tach install on my 05 1200C for several days and need some input from someone with an electronics background. The tach I have is a pre-serial bus tach from a 03 Sportster. This tach requires an analog square wave signal from the coil. These tachs were designed to be used with a dual fire ignition system like the earlier Sportsters (the pink wire setup) so when you connect them to one side a newer single fire ignition coil they read half the actual rpms. There are some "adapters" available but being the tight-wad I am I was thinking of a cheap dyi fix. My first thought was to simply install two leads with diodes, one each on the two negative wires leading to the two coil primarys thus combining the two signals and doubling the signal pulses to the tach. Seemed to simple so I searched the net for a couple of days and finally found a German ignition manufacturer that had an adaptor circuit diagram on their website. Their adaptor consisted of two leads with a 50V 1A diode each. The leads were connected at one end to form the tach lead while the two leads are connected one each to the coil leads. The odd thing to me is they jumped a 100 Ohm resistor around each diode. The diodes would effectively block any feedback from one coil lead to the other but when you jump the resistors around the diodes it opens the circuit. What am I missing? What is the reason for the resistors? Here is a link.
http://www.amm.haan.de/Immognition/a...htm#revadapter
When voltage is taken away from the coil the energy in that coil will go somewhere. It will produce whatever voltage and current necessary to collapse. It is called flyback. The resistors manage that voltage as it increases across the diodes.

The resistors will not let enough of the coil pulse bleed back to fire the other coil. But it will keep your tach from going up in smoke.