Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:23 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

First, thanks to Shovelhead Bob for getting me on the correct Sert file to start with.
Everything runs good, almost too good with no symptoms such as hesitating, popping, blubbering, spitting, sputtering, pinging, or surging. Spark plug color is a chocolate brown.
I've made a data run on a flat open road and now I'm back homeexamining the data file. I don't see anything bad from my uneducated view. Spark retard activity was zero to almost nil even inWOT. The MAP was in proportion to the throttle position by the table in the manual. I did get one pop on deceleration during a gear shift from a WOT condition, only once.
Now the question. Exactly how wouldyou evaluate a rich/lean condition from a data file with no bad symptoms?
Thanks

Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Default RE: How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

The data file cannot tell you rich lean at WOT of at any point the bike is in open loop. If you have an O2 bike, and you record a data file WITH O2 DATA (it's a manual selection) you can read the integrator values and corresponding NEW VE's the computer calculated. That is for closed loop only.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Thanks O_S_E,
It seams the manual doesn't cover the O2 data. Thanks for pointing out that selection. I may make another data run with it turned on butit looks likeif I want to do more with this I'll need an AFR meter.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:52 AM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you have it close I'd ride it someand check fuel mileage. Youmayfind out that at certain conditions it is less than perfect. Ifall looks good you could leave it and enjoy....but if youwanttofine tune.

In closed loop the O2 voltage should bounce around your target. Its proabably not going to be a steady, but if its maxed or zero you need tomake adjustments.Also the O2 interagrators tells you if the computer added or subtracted fuel based on the O2 sensors. 100 equals no change. 105 fuel added (lean condition). 95 fuel subtracted (rich condition). If its always on one side you can adjust your VE tables to give more or less fuel so you are better centered. The average rider spends better than 90% of thier ridingin closed loop mode. Dispite what some will tell you the 02 sensor are a key componentwhen cruising and should NOTbe eliminated on a street bike.

WOT is "Open Loop" and canbe done by feel (or dyno) make small changes in one area and evaluate. Better-Same-Worse and go from there. If you want to get realadvance there are some post on adding a Wide Band O2 sensor.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

In closed loop the O2 voltage should bounce around your target. Its proabably not going to be a steady, but if its maxed or zero you need tomake adjustments.Also the O2 interagrators tells you if the computer added or subtracted fuel based on the O2 sensors. 100 equals no change. 105 fuel added (lean condition). 95 fuel subtracted (rich condition). If its always on one side you can adjust your VE tables to give more or less fuel so you are better centered. The average rider spends better than 90% of thier ridingin closed loop mode. Dispite what some will tell you the 02 sensor are a key componentwhen cruising and should NOTbe eliminated on a street bike.

WOT is "Open Loop" and canbe done by feel (or dyno) make small changes in one area and evaluate. Better-Same-Worse and go from there. If you want to get realadvance there are some post on adding a Wide Band O2 sensor.
A bike could not physically run at 0v or 1v on the narrow band O2 voltage, but he will see . 01 or zero volts on decel.

The HD system is in closed loop most of the time, the only time it leaves closed loop is when the map load and rpm in the a/f table hit a cell not marked 14.6or decel.

However, 14.6 is only the signal to listen to the O2 sensors. It then goes to the O2 bias table for a bias reference to try to achieve (that is the target it will bounce around). Max this table out (till it turns red) and you will cruise at approximately 14.2 : 1. This is much better than setting the AF table to 14.2:1 because then it will not utilize the O2's and any place your VE's are off, so will your cruise.

Also, if you data record and look at the NEW VE's, you can enter them into your VE tables and then you will be even closer next ride!

So, max out your bias table and gofor a ride recording data with O2 on.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:16 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Thanks Guys,
I'm appreciating the capabilities of the Sert more as I learn more about it. I'm glad now that I didn't opt for anything that eliminated the O2 sensors.
Weather may prevent any data recording this weekend but i'm anxious to try again.
At this point I should max out the CLOSED LOOP BIAS table (798 in all cells?), record data with O2 option turned on (using various throttle positions, I assume any gear is okay), & note the NEW VE's at throttle positions & RPM's.Enter theminto the tuning module VE tables where they are different. Should the CLOSED LOOP BIAS table be left at maximum? Thanks.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a few additional comments, the O2s should swing from .2 - .8 volts rapidly during idle and cruise (closed loop). That is telling you that you are at 14.6:1 A/F which it should run well at unless you have another problem. These O2s are narrow band and will only tell you if you are more lean then 14.6 A/F, less than .45V or more rich, greater then .45V.At wide open throttle, open loop, the O2s should read approx .8 to .85V. This will not tell you exactly what your A/F is but it will let you know that you are notway too lean. Like any guage that is not exact, get used to where they are at when it is running right because if it isn't, the O2s will probably read differently if it's an A/F problem at WOT.

I personally like to see the fuel integrators slightly negative, another words, I would like to see them pull fuel only, never have to add any. Drivability often improves because open loop warm-up,quick transitions, etc will not spike a lean condition, always error on the rich side.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

These O2s are narrow band and will only tell you if you are more lean then 14.6 A/F, less than .45V or more rich, greater then .45V.
They tell you where you are related to the bias voltage. The EFI tuner is not set to run anything at 14.6 out of the box. 14.6 is the switch that tells the ECM to look at the O2's. The ECM then looks at the O2 Bias Table. It's best to raise the bias table to 798 across the board. This achieves about a 14.2:1 mixture.

I personally like to see the fuel integrators slightly negative, another words, I would like to see them pull fuel only, never have to add any. Drivability often improves because open loop warm-up Many times it is in closed loop when warming up - raise the Warmup Enrichment tables a bit if this is a problem.,quick transitions, etc will not spike a lean condition, always error on the rich side.
Using the O2's to constantly pull fuel can only be done by making the VE's larger than they need to be. You then use the O2's to lean it out.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:23 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Narrow band O2 sensors can only indicate a more rich or lean condition then a 14.6:1 A/F ratio, they can'tdependably comeclose to telling you anything else.So be carefulpicking a certain voltage andthinking that it is approx this or that A/F because that will vary widely from O2 to O2 sensor and isa moving targetwith the O2'sage and condition, such an application dictateswideband O2 sensors but I don't thinkHD Delphisare designed for them.Also, in actual operation in closed loop, thenarrow band O2's voltage rapidlyswingsfrom approx.2 to .8V many times per secondwhen at 14.6:1, again this swing voltage and frequencyvaries from sensor to sensor.An engine can actuallyrun leaner thenan emissions dictated 14.6for better mileage, such as what Ihave beendoing with my turbo 107" forthousands of cruisingmiles, open loop. When cruising long distances with other Ultras, the 95" and larger, theyalways need fuel before we do, if I can stay out of the boost.

By warm-up I meant the period of time thatyou are in open loop waitingfor the O2s towarm up before going to closed loop.

Yes,I like to program the VEs slightly rich in closed loop so the integrators have to run slightly negative for the reasons previously stated.

One question I have, does theDelphi EMS apply the learned integrator to WOT open loop? Many EMS systems do, but they will only apply positives, another words, they will only add fuel, never pull fuel out at WOT. On such systems we always make sure the integrators are biased slightlynegative so the programmedWOT A/F does not drift too much.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:24 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

Trust me on this - Narrow bands are accurate within 1/2 piont. If you max the bias table the .798v gets you to about 14.2- I practically live on the dyno with this thing.

Also, the integrators have nothing to do with open loop - that's the Adaptive fuel values. They are on in '07 and yes they apply to open loop.

Also, the voltage does not swing from .2 - .8. Onve the ecm zeros in on the bias voltage, it's mainly back and forth around that voltage until you decel or give it throttle.

Quick Reply: How do you evaluate a Sert data file?