Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
deadwood1783
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

Guys, One Screamin Eagle is giving you good info. It is obvious he has experience with SERT and Dyno Tuning these systems. There is a lot of well intentioned misinformation on tuning all over the place. On the knock (ion sensing issue) when the ECM detects three irregular combustion events it will try to correct by changing the timing up to 15 degrees. These events will typically occur during throttle roll on ie specific RPM amd load ranges. I watch these boards but don't post much because discussions turn nasty on the net real quick. Basically, if you are using a SERT I would say find a competent Dyno tuner and have him set up your map. There is no such thing as a perfect map. When you get a Dyno sheet with good #'s and flat fuel lines you are only looking at a snapshot in time. You will not get the same results if you go to another shop and have it "checked" as a lot of things will not be the same. Such as ambient temp, tire air pressure, the engines heat soak, even the way the guy straps the bike to the dyno will give different results. Not to mention no two dyno's are EXACTLY the same. If a competent tuner builds you a proper tune it will work fine and you should never need to adjust it unless you change compoments ie air cleaners, pipes or whatever.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:35 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

No one is saying that O_S_E's info isn't good, I just need more of it. What pieces of information I've gotten have been well absorbed by my feeble brain but I haven't put the entire puzzle together yet.
I'm all for getting a professional tune on a dyno but it's not an available option right now. I live in the sticks and there are only six dynos within a 100 mile radius of me. All six havevarious issues and can't do tuning right now (tech quit, doesn't do SERT, dyno awaiting factory rep for repair, and one even told me I had to leave the bike and he would get to it when he could with no time promise).