Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you evaluate a Sert data file?

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

Thanks for clearing that up. Is there any disadvantages to keeping the bias table maxed out? 14.2 A/F sounds closer to ideal than 14.6. Is the 14.6 A/F a setting to keep the EPA happy?
You guys should write a primer on this for us that want to learn about it. It would make a great "sticky".

Having to use a bias table does not make sense to me,14.2 is more rich then you should have to be for most smooth operating,economical cruising. All narrow band 02 sensors are designed to operate in the slightly too rich 14.6 EPA friendly emission control range.A fewEMS systems in the past have attempted this narrow band biastrick but all that I know ofhave got away from this proceedure due towhat I've described in a previous post, the inconsistancies of a narrow band O2s anytime you deviate from the .45V crossover point for more rich or lean of the 14.6 stoich ratio.Possibly the HD EMS/software is more advanced then the rest of the EMS engineworld, but I'd bet against it or possibly the engine is under developed with inconsistancies causing us tohave to mis-tunethe EMS, I hope not. As a general rule, if you have to go to go from 14.6 to 14.2 to eliminate a problem, you are most likely going around the real problem, such as, if you are getting detonation,you either have too much timing advance, compression or bad fuel, whatever, I wouldtry backing the timing off in the offending RPM/load range rather then cover the problem up withricher A/F first.
You don't have to use the bias table to achieve the 14.2 but it's a slick shortcut in lieu of modifing the A/F table. 14.2 should give more HP than 14.6 and not sacrifice milage. Personally I'm running great at 14.6 with no problems but I want to know more about this system. Right now I'm more curious about open loop operation, especially at WOT.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:07 PM
SonnyMax
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[hr]
However, 14.6 is only the signal to listen to the O2 sensors. It then goes to the O2 bias table for a bias reference to try to achieve (that is the target it will bounce around). Max this table out (till it turns red) and you will cruise at approximately 14.2 : 1. This is much better than setting the AF table to 14.2:1 because then it will not utilize the O2's and any place your VE's are off, so will your cruise.

[hr]
OSE,

Are you referring to the Closed Loop Bias table?

Installed SE a/c and SERT yesterday using map 78. Already had SE touring mufflers. WOW, what a difference. Starts from stop smoother and accelerates smoother through higher rpms. Used to seem to strain to go above 3500 and now it goes to 5000 without any effort. Wife noticed an immediate difference when starting from a stop. The factory update made a difference for starts, but this was even better. No decel popping at all either.
Isthe download for stage I the same as map 78? If so, then definitely need to tweak, since an update came out for stage I as well.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:25 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

I give up.Think what you want. Facts don't seem to matter in these discussions anymore. Everyone who bought one of these things seems to be an expert anymore within a week and reading someone elses innacurate posts.
Nuff said, if the horse doesn't want to drink, so be it.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

I give up.Think what you want. Facts don't seem to matter in these discussions anymore. Everyone who bought one of these things seems to be an expert anymore within a week and reading someone elses innacurate posts.
Well what do you expect?? Youprovide tid bits of info and when someone tries to fill in the blanksyou attack them.Here's some common sense info.

1) Cars have been running O2 Sensor for 20+ years, Harleys less than 2
2) Logically anyone who has worked with EFI systems oncars will migrate to an 07 Harley and try to apply what they have learned to thier Harley....itshuman nature.
3) This is a forum made up of average people not EFI experts, if there's a forum full of Harley EFI expert or a SERT dedicated website steer us there. We'll sit backwith read only access and study up.

You claim to live on the dyno, here's you chance to educate us.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

O_S_E,
I apologize if I've fustrated you. I feel like I've been given a few pieces of a big puzzle but they don't quite fit yet.
Don't "throw in the towel" on me.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do not like to be challenged, maybe you are not cut out for internetforums, just lighten up, get used to itand continue giving us yourwelcome inputso we can challenge you some more. Just think of all the, "I told you so," as we try to sort out this Harley EFI stuff,that you have to look forward to.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

I've been sitting in the back of the class watching this discussion (cause I know nothing), and have allready changed my closed loop bias table to max with awesome results... More power, smoother acceleration, and hopefully the mileage will come up. When I'm able to ride it enough to get a feel for the mileage I'll post the results. But please keep posting your ideas & opinions, I for one am listening. Thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 07:23 PM
SonnyMax
Intermediate

ONE,

Thanks for jumping down my throat for asking a simple question. Did not make any suggestions about tuning the SERT and have no idea as to how. The "However " sentence was yours. Did not see how to include the quote until now. I agree with others' comments to you. Lighten up and share. I thought you had valuable info, so that is why I asked you directly. I do not have a clue as to how to tune one of these and that is why I asked you the question. Was excited about the initial base download and was asking questions.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
SonnyMax
Intermediate

cjuetten,

Go to this site. Must be a trick to adding links. Would not show the complete path. They have discussions and somewheres post maps for the SERT. I think they cost $15 per year. Didn't find the maps. May have to pay first.

The **** is v-twinforum with .com

http://www.*****************/forums/

Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

I find this to be an interesting comment. concidering your postagainst me.

Your post is not accurate. Knock sense works at high load or high rpm conditions which will not be closed loop.

I provided data to back up my claim that Knock sense does work INclosed loop.Where's thefacts to support your claim. I noticed when you get called out you run silent. Does a dose ofyour own medicine leave a bad taste? While some of the post seem personal lets face it were all using Pseudo names so don't take the comments too hard......although that doesn'tmean I won't stand up for myself

Actually I'm just try to induce a little reality check and possible HUMORin here. Internet forums aren't about who's the most intelligent, has the most experianceor always right. Itsabout sharing ideas and hopefully learning something from each other.If it can provide some enterainment all the better.

I think most of us will agree some of the best leassons in life were learnedfrom mistakes.I'm guessing a group hug is out of the question, butI've been picking up some good info here and hope it doesn't die due to a few sour post.

Quick Reply: How do you evaluate a Sert data file?