Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Jumpstarted bike, now lights will not work (2002 Electra Glide)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 AM
rel3rd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jumpstarted bike, now lights will not work (2002 Electra Glide)

Trying to help a buddy of mine out. Bike is a 2002 Electra Glide Classic.

Battery was dead, down to 4 volts...so he tried charging battery with automobile type (big) battery charger. Used as high as 225 amps...bike would do nothing but click.

He went and bought a new battery at dealer, installed it and bike fired right up, but lights immediately blew out. Fuse for lights, he said a 15 amp mini fuse, was blown. Replaced the fuse, but as soon as he turns the ignition switch on, the fuse blows for the lights. By lights, I mean ALL lights, but, the brakelight and turn signals work as they should.

I know we've all read or heard NOT to use a high amp battery charger to start or charge a battery on a bike, but (I'm sure he isn't the only one who has) what has happened here?

Any ideas, suggestions, are greatly appreciated...

Cliff Notes:

Battery was dead
Never started with battery charger hooked up
New battery, bike fired right up
As soon as ignition is turned ON, light fuse blows, bike doesn't have to run

Last edited by rel3rd; 03-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Fuses only blow when there is a short.............he is going to have to check the wiring

All the things together seem connected but are more than likely coincidental.

If bike runs and everything else works then there is a short on the lighting somewhere from the taillight to the headlight and down to the fender light.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Is the bike fuel injected because if it is and you tried "JUMP STARTING" it with anything other that another motorcycle battery or a charger set properly you can easly damage the ECM and the problems there after can have a wide range of effects.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM
rel3rd
Advanced
Question

Originally Posted by scotty3
Fuses only blow when there is a short.............he is going to have to check the wiring

All the things together seem connected but are more than likely coincidental.

If bike runs and everything else works then there is a short on the lighting somewhere from the taillight to the headlight and down to the fender light.
I'm going to offer to haul the bike to my house and dig into it. I am leaning towards coincidence myself.

Originally Posted by NDMECH
Is the bike fuel injected because if it is and you tried "JUMP STARTING" it with anything other that another motorcycle battery or a charger set properly you can easly damage the ECM and the problems there after can have a wide range of effects.
That, I am not sure of. He didn't tell me if it is carbed or not, and I never asked. I understand that there could be weird issues with ECM, but don't understand how an ECM issue would have anything at all to do with the lights? Can you elaborate any, why or how they are connected?

Thanks for replies.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Trying to help a buddy of mine out. Bike is a 2002 Electra Glide Classic.

Battery was dead, down to 4 volts...
Could the problem have existed before the new battery was fitted????

Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Can you tell me why?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Bike starts so ECM is fine..........ECM does not control lights or have anything to do with light fuse.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 PM
rel3rd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Big Trev
Could the problem have existed before the new battery was fitted????
No sir. I talked to him this evening a little more in depth. Lights were working when he first tried starting the bike with the bad battery and charger hooked to it. Sometime between that first time trying to start it, and getting the new battery, he noticed lights weren't working. I'm going to go get the bike from him Tuesday and get it to my house where I have the time and the tools to hopefully track the problem down without a whole lot of time invested...famous last words, huh? lol ...wish me luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rel3rd
No sir. I talked to him this evening a little more in depth. Lights were working when he first tried starting the bike with the bad battery and charger hooked to it. Sometime between that first time trying to start it, and getting the new battery, he noticed lights weren't working. I'm going to go get the bike from him Tuesday and get it to my house where I have the time and the tools to hopefully track the problem down without a whole lot of time invested...famous last words, huh? lol ...wish me luck.

But why was the battery originally only showing 4 volts?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
rel3rd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Big Trev
But why was the battery originally only showing 4 volts?
original battery was dead...almost...which is why he tried hotshotting it

Quick Reply: Jumpstarted bike, now lights will not work (2002 Electra Glide)