Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Solenoid issue...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
LoRydr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Solenoid issue...I think?

When I push the start button, The solenoid most of the time doesn't kick out far enough for the bendix to catch the ring gear. Sometimes it does catch and cranks for a rev or two, then lets go halfway back in. The starter always spins, every time, no problem.

The battery is good with a fresh charge. The bendix, solenoid, relay and cables are new. Connections are tight. Same thing happened with all the older parts.

I wondered if binding was the issue, but when the bendix does catch and motor cranks, but lets go, then...I don't know.

Greg
'84 FXSB

Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
LoRydr
Advanced

Further testing...when the wire to the starter is disconnected, the solenoid kicks the bendix out to the ring gear every time. With the starter connected, it only kicks out 1 in 7 times. When it does kick out, it's only for a short rev or 2. Like maybe 1 second, then going halfway back, while the starter still spins. When I let go of the button, it goes all the way back in. Any takers?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
LoRydr
Advanced

I disconnected all wires from the solenoid...hooked a separate battery to the smallest & largest terminals, and got proper movement of the bendix over the ring gear. I also measured ohms at all points/terminals and the measurements were proper.

So the pull in coil works nice. Just because the ohm readings are good for the hold in coil, how can one tell if it is working? If I had neg batt to the case also, would the hold in coil still operate if I unhooked at the starter terminal?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
LoRydr
Advanced

Aha! Got it figured out and working nice.