Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Scott 86 883
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start...

I have a 1986 883 Sportster… the stock ignition system had been replaced with a RevTech electronic ignition with a mechanical advance… over the past week or so the bike would occasionally back-fire slightly when starting… went for a 25 mile ride and took a break… when I tried to start the bike it had a few MAJOR back-fires a few UGLY engine noises and it would not start… I looked at the electronic ignition and found that the mechanical advance unit had broken and tore up the backing plate of the ignition module… replaced both (new Compu-fire ignition) when I set the timing I had the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground and the spark plugs removed so I could turn the engine over by rotating the rear wheel… when I tried to locate the advance timing mark for the front cylinder it was very hard to keep it in the view port, it was difficult to turn the rear wheel then the mark would fly by, again the plug are out… final I would just get the mark into position and blocked the wheel so it would not move… set the timing according to instructions… bike wont start… I have fuel and spark but bike wont start… keep thinking about how difficult it was to keep it on the advance timing mark and if something happened at that major back-fire and how to find out. Your response is appreciated… thanks.